dammad99

Default In Word 2003 cannot get toolbar buttons to stay after changing wh.

Never had this problem before with Word but in 2003 version from Office Prof.
2003 only in Word program I cannot keep the change of toolbar buttons to be
saved. It always defaults back to the original opening of the program when I
sign in to the program. Tried numerous times and ways that always worked fine
before.
Beth Melton

Do you happen to also be using Adobe 7.0??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"dammad99" wrote in message
Never had this problem before with Word but in 2003 version from
Office Prof.
2003 only in Word program I cannot keep the change of toolbar
buttons to be
saved. It always defaults back to the original opening of the
program when I
sign in to the program. Tried numerous times and ways that always
worked fine
before.

Beth Melton

We've recently learned that their new add-in for Word is preventing
modifications to Normal.dot from being saved.

Either uninstall the add-in or after making your modifications hold
Shift and then click File/Close All in order to manually save
Normal.dot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"dammad99" wrote in message
Never had this problem before with Word but in 2003 version from
Office Prof.
2003 only in Word program I cannot keep the change of toolbar
buttons to be
saved. It always defaults back to the original opening of the
program when I
sign in to the program. Tried numerous times and ways that always
worked fine
before.

garfield-n-odie

Word toolbar customizations are stored in the Normal.dot global template.
There is a conflict between Acrobat 7 and Word 2003 that prevents Word 2003
from automatically saving changes to Normal.dot. The workaround is that when
you know you have made changes to your Normal.dot template, you should hold
down the Shift key and click on "File", release the Shift key, and click on
"Save All" to manually force Word to save both the Normal.dot template and
your Word document.

"dammad99" wrote in message
Never had this problem before with Word but in 2003 version from
Office Prof.
2003 only in Word program I cannot keep the change of toolbar
buttons to be
saved. It always defaults back to the original opening of the
program when I
sign in to the program. Tried numerous times and ways that always
worked fine
before.

Graham Mayor

I'm still using Acrobat 6, so cannot confirm this works with the problematic
7, but have you tried loading the add-in only when it is required, by
calling it from a folder other than the start-up folder - see the method
described at the end of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm.

"dammad99" wrote in message
Never had this problem before with Word but in 2003 version from
Office Prof.
2003 only in Word program I cannot keep the change of toolbar
buttons to be
saved. It always defaults back to the original opening of the
program when I
sign in to the program. Tried numerous times and ways that always
worked fine
before.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lorihwpdx

Default In Word 2003 cannot get toolbar buttons to stay after changing

Word 2003 Toolbar buttons thread dated 11/1/2004-11/2/2004
Beth,
My toolbars are almost completely dimmed. I tried all of the actions as
posted in the thread referenced in this reply (1st line). I was unable to
find Normal.dot when searching all of my drives, so I wasn't able to try that
recommended fix.None of the others worked, they a

protected docs - checked docs on another PC; registry corruption -
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Data, files erased and
Word restarted;

two month old purchase of MS Office Professional - no demo problem;

starting Word with "winword /a" command (quotations for understanding only)
- commands not yet enabled;

COM add-ins - right click on any toolbar to customize - no commands
available there either, and

Normal.dot - can't locate file.

I also ran a complete virus check - nothing showed up.

I'm getting pretty desperate since Finals are here and I have a lot of work
to do!
What else could be happening?

Lori HW