Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
8novels 8novels is offline

Default word - want to capitalize sentences that start with quote marks

I can't get Word to capitalize sentences that start with quotation marks. I
am a novelist and this is a BIG problem for me.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Resume Lady[_2_] Resume Lady[_2_] is offline

I'm not sure I understand. Can you type an example of a sentence the way you
want it and then how Word makes it appear?

Deb

"8novels" wrote:

I can't get Word to capitalize sentences that start with quotation marks. I
am a novelist and this is a BIG problem for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is one of those cases where you just have to suck it up and use one of
the two Shift keys. Yeah, Word makes us lazy. g

"8novels" wrote in message
I can't get Word to capitalize sentences that start with quotation marks.

am a novelist and this is a BIG problem for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
8novels 8novels is offline

Default word - want to capitalize sentences that start with quote mark

Sure. If I type: [carriage return] no.
Word turns it into: [carriage return] No.
But if I type: [carriage return] "no."
Word does NOT turn it into: [carriage return] "No."
In other words, it does not recognize the initial "n" as the start of a
sentence, apparently because it comes after a set of quotation marks.
Word Perfect does not have this glitch. So "oh, you can't do that" will be
an unacceptable answer. G

"8novels" wrote:

I can't get Word to capitalize sentences that start with quotation marks. I
am a novelist and this is a BIG problem for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
8novels 8novels is offline

Arrgh! Say it ain't so! I can't keep it straight, because sometimes Word
capitalizes the start of a sentence and sometimes it doesn't. QUITE annoying.

Does it have anything to do with SmartQuotes?? If I turn them off, will that
solve the problem????

I haven't tried it yet because I'm working on a manuscript that I started in
WordPerfect. WordPerfect doesn't have this irritating glitch. So the whole
document is done with SmartQuotes. If I have to turn them off for the rest of
the document and fix it all later, I will, but .... sheesh. I hope there's a
fix.

"8novels" wrote in message
I can't get Word to capitalize sentences that start with quotation marks.

am a novelist and this is a BIG problem for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Resume Lady[_2_] Resume Lady[_2_] is offline

That's what I thought he was getting at. It would take me ten times longer
to type if I had to stop and think about NOT typing exactly what I need.
Yeah, I use the shift and actually tell the computer to capitalize what I
want capitalized. It just flooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwsssssssssssssss
that way.

Deb

"8novels" wrote in message
I can't get Word to capitalize sentences that start with quotation marks.

am a novelist and this is a BIG problem for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
8novels 8novels is offline

OK, so I'm lazy. So I'm spoiled. Isn't that what computers are for?

In other words, hey. I only expect my word processor to do what a word
processor does. Process words. This is a really obvious one, folks. Some
sentences start with quotation marks. Word ought to know that. That's all I'm
saying.

I'm still hoping some genius out there ... or some frustrated ex-WordPerfect
user ... will have figured out a fix for this.

"8novels" wrote in message
I can't get Word to capitalize sentences that start with quotation marks.

am a novelist and this is a BIG problem for me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't think Smart Quotes are directly responsible, though it's true that
probably Word can't perform more than one AutoFormat at a time. But Word
won't capitalize the first letter of a sentence after a period following a
number (whether it's a paragraph number or part of the text), and it won't
capitalize after quotes, presumably because the quotes intervene between the
period and the first letter of the sentence.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is one of those cases where you just have to suck it up and use one

of
the two Shift keys. Yeah, Word makes us lazy. g

newsgroup so
all may benefit.