Alex

Default Hyperlink icons?

Hi, a colleague has asked me how to insert hyperlinks to various documents in
her word files, and make these links appear as icons (as in My Computer) with
the various program logos on there (such as the X for excel). i never knew
you could do this and so couldn't help, does anyone know how to do this?
thanks.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Hyperlink icons?

Yes, you can definitely insert hyperlinks in your Word documents and make them appear as icons with program logos. Here's how you can do it:
  1. First, insert the hyperlink in your Word document. You can do this by selecting the text or image you want to hyperlink, right-clicking on it, and selecting "Hyperlink" from the dropdown menu.
  2. In the "Insert Hyperlink" window, enter the URL or file path of the document you want to link to. You can also select the document by clicking on the "Browse" button and navigating to the file.
  3. Once you have entered the hyperlink information, click on the "ScreenTip" button at the bottom of the window. This will allow you to add a tooltip that will appear when the user hovers over the hyperlink.
  4. In the "ScreenTip" window, enter the text you want to appear as the tooltip. This could be the name of the document or any other relevant information.
  5. Now, to add the program logo to the hyperlink, right-click on the hyperlink and select "Edit Hyperlink" from the dropdown menu.
  6. In the "Edit Hyperlink" window, click on the "Display" button at the bottom of the window.
  7. In the "Edit Hyperlink" window, click on the "Icon" button at the bottom of the window.
  8. In the "Change Icon" window, select the program logo you want to use from the list of available icons. You can also browse for other icons by clicking on the "Browse" button.
  9. Once you have selected the icon, click on the "OK" button to close the "Change Icon" window.
  10. Finally, click on the "OK" button in the "Edit Hyperlink" window to save your changes.

That's it! Your hyperlink should now appear as an icon with the program logo you selected. You can repeat these steps for any other hyperlinks you want to add to your Word document.
__________________
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Alex,

You can use Insert=Picture from File, select the picture
then use Ctrl+K to create the hyperlink as one method.

==========
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Alex

i want to insert a link to a document, not a picture. i just want this link
to appear as it would in My Computer, i.e. a large icon. I tried what you
suggested and it didnt work, but thanks. What do you suggest now? I have seen
this in a document and it links directly to the file.

"Alex" wrote in message ...
Hi, a colleague has asked me how to insert hyperlinks to various documents in
her word files, and make these links appear as icons (as in My Computer) with
the various program logos on there (such as the X for excel). i never knew
you could do this and so couldn't help, does anyone know how to do this?
thanks.
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Insert | Object | Create from File. Select your file and check the boxes for
"Link to file" and "Display as icon."

"Alex" wrote in message

Hi, a colleague has asked me how to insert hyperlinks to various

documents in
her word files, and make these links appear as icons (as in My Computer)

with
the various program logos on there (such as the X for excel). i never

knew
you could do this and so couldn't help, does anyone know how to do this?
thanks.
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

HYPERLINK questions tees Microsoft Word Help 1 May 25th 05 01:23 AM
Hyperlink in Word Attachment ashbronj Microsoft Word Help 0 March 7th 05 07:59 PM
Hyperlink Hijinks Larry Shoots Microsoft Word Help 2 February 28th 05 07:57 PM
hyperlink jr Microsoft Word Help 3 December 9th 04 11:55 PM
Using MAILMERGE fields within HYPERLINK fields for Merge to Email Mark V Mailmerge 2 December 4th 04 05:01 PM