Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
bufossil bufossil is offline

Default Style not importing correctly from template

I am using Word 2007.

I am working on "Document A", and I want to import all styles from "Template
1."

So, I follow these steps:

1. On Developer tab, click Document Template.
2. On Templates and Add-ins window, click Organizer.
3. On Organizer tab, I close the Normal.dot template on the source side.
4. I make sure the document name is showing on the target side.
5. I copy ALL the styles from Template 1 to Document A.

When I open Document A, it does not retain all of the formatting details of
the styles in Template 1. For example, Heading 3 does not come in with the
indentation that is specified in the template (Template 1 specifies that
Heading 3 should be indented .38", but it comes into Document A left aligned).

I am working with another writer, and I witnessed this behavior after three
attempts to copy the styles from Template 1. It even failed to arrive in
Document A properly when we copied nothing but Heading 3. The other headings
seem to arrive in Document A with no issues. We verified that Heading 3
(that has a special name in Template 1) does not have a corresponding
counterpart in Normal.dotx, so we don't think there is a conflict there.

If we manually set the new Heading 3 style to indent .38" and close the
document, when we open the same document it has lost the .38" indentation.

Does anyone have any ideas what is happening?

Thank you in advance.

Tim
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The way that I do what you are after is in the Templates and Add-ins dialog,
click on Attach and select the template that you want to attach to the
document (in your case Template 1). Then click on OK.

Then go to the Home tab of the ribbon and click on Change Styles, then on
Style Set and then no Reset to Quick Styles from (in your case) Template 1.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.