Spike Tenny

Default How can I edit a Word 2000 symbol?

I want to make a small change to an existing Word 2000 symbol (Wingdings
2:157), however I cannot find a way to do this. The symbol uses a full stop
(or period) and I want the same symbol but with a comma in it (not a period).

I have tried to copy the symbol and edit it with a paint package, but the
lines of the font no longer look clean and thin, instead they look fuzzy, the
is exacerbated as I am trying to use a 10 point font. I have tried to edit
it in PowerPoint, but the symbol is too small to adjust.

Any ideas where I am going wrong? Word Perfect had a built in editor did it
not? Should I be looking for a 3rd party route?
CyberTaz

Hi Spike-

Wingdings, Webdings, Symbol, etc. are fonts created just like Times New
Roman, Arial and the rest. Where you are "going wrong" is that fonts are
vector shapes designed based on lines & curves defined by formulas which you
cannot directly modify without the appropriate design software. The way you
are trying to modify the one 'instance' of the character causes it to be
converted to a rasterized image made up of square pixels which results in the
jaggies.

Regards |:)

"Spike Tenny" wrote:

I want to make a small change to an existing Word 2000 symbol (Wingdings
2:157), however I cannot find a way to do this. The symbol uses a full stop
(or period) and I want the same symbol but with a comma in it (not a period).

I have tried to copy the symbol and edit it with a paint package, but the
lines of the font no longer look clean and thin, instead they look fuzzy, the
is exacerbated as I am trying to use a 10 point font. I have tried to edit
it in PowerPoint, but the symbol is too small to adjust.

Any ideas where I am going wrong? Word Perfect had a built in editor did it
not? Should I be looking for a 3rd party route?

Amedee Van Gasse

In , CyberTaz told
us an interesting story. My reply to this story is at the bottom of
this message.

Hi Spike-

Wingdings, Webdings, Symbol, etc. are fonts created just like Times
New Roman, Arial and the rest. Where you are "going wrong" is that
fonts are vector shapes designed based on lines & curves defined by
formulas which you cannot directly modify without the appropriate
design software. The way you are trying to modify the one 'instance'
of the character causes it to be converted to a rasterized image made
up of square pixels which results in the jaggies.

To add to this:
You could try to find font editing software (I think there are some
very basic font tools somewhere deep in the Coreldraw suite, but I'm
not sure) and export the glyph you want to clip art. Then you can edit
it as much as you like.

--
Amedee Van Gasse
CyberTaz

Hi Amedee-

Actually, it can be done rather easily in PhotoShop or Illustrator by typing
the character & converting it to a vector path. Hadn't mentioned that
because it isn't the sort of thing most people would get involved with.

You really don't need _font design_ software unless you want to design a
complete font family. Any good vector editing software should do. Pardon the
HTML, but here is a quick sample of what I mean:

It started out as A about 2 minutes ago.

Regards |:)

On 8/12/05 4:02 AM, in article ,
"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote:

[...]

Amedee Van Gasse

In , CyberTaz told us an
interesting story. My reply to this story is at the bottom of this
message.

Actually, it can be done rather easily in PhotoShop or Illustrator by
typing the character & converting it to a vector path. Hadn't
mentioned that because it isn't the sort of thing most people would
get involved with.

You really don't need _font design_ software unless you want to
design a complete font family. Any good vector editing software
should do. Pardon the HTML, but here is a quick sample of what I mean:

It started out as A about 2 minutes ago.

Regards |:)

I was looking too far! ;-)

BTW, I get something multipart/alternative...

--
Amedee Van Gasse