tvanellen

Default How do I make a table of contents for only one section of my doc?

I have a document consisting of several sections. I want to make a tabel of
contents for only the first section (the text of my report, the other
sections contain annexes to the report). When I make a table of contents
(ToC), Word also includes the headings of the annexes in it, what I do not
want. Waht is the simplest way to tell Word to make a TOC of one section only?
thnx

garfield-n-odie

One way is to use TC fields to mark only the entries you want to
appear in the Table of Contents, and then generate a Table of
Contents from the TC fields.

Another way, if your Table of Contents is generated from built-in
Heading styles, is use Heading 1 through Heading 5 (or as many
levels as needed) for the main part of the document, and Heading
6 through Heading 9 (or the remaining levels) for the annexes, as
described in
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html
.. When you generate the Table of Contents, you can choose to
include only the first five (or whatever) heading levels, which
will exclude the annexes that are formatted with numerically
higher heading levels.

tvanellen wrote:

I have a document consisting of several sections. I want to make a tabel of
contents for only the first section (the text of my report, the other
sections contain annexes to the report). When I make a table of contents
(ToC), Word also includes the headings of the annexes in it, what I do not
want. Waht is the simplest way to tell Word to make a TOC of one section only?
thnx

tvanellen

Thank you,
Works well for the ToC, but I cannot find how to make my annex headings show
up properly (1, 1.1, 1.2) , and not something like 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1. Any
suggestions?

tvanellen wrote:

I have a document consisting of several sections. I want to make a tabel of
contents for only the first section (the text of my report, the other
sections contain annexes to the report). When I make a table of contents
(ToC), Word also includes the headings of the annexes in it, what I do not
want. Waht is the simplest way to tell Word to make a TOC of one section only?
thnx

garfield-n-odie

Please read the suggested article, and you'll see that it talks
about:

1 Numbering the headings in the body of the document and the
Appendixes
€¢ You have to use the built-in Heading styles in order to be
able to use their "magic" properties (described at Why use Word's
built-in heading styles?). Therefore, we use Heading 1 to Heading
5 for headings in the main document. And we use Heading 6 to
Heading 9 in the Appendixes.
€¢ So Heading 1 might be set up to say "Chapter 1" or "Part 1"
or even just "1". Heading 6 might be set up to say "Appendix A".
€¢ To set up the numbering system for your headings, use the
techniques described at How to create numbered headings or
outline numbering in your Word Document.
€¢ Modify the Heading 6 to 9 styles so that they meet your needs.

tvanellen wrote:

I have a document consisting of several sections. I want to make a tabel of
contents for only the first section (the text of my report, the other
sections contain annexes to the report). When I make a table of contents
(ToC), Word also includes the headings of the annexes in it, what I do not
want. Waht is the simplest way to tell Word to make a TOC of one section only?
thnx

Jezebel

Another way to build a TOC for only part of the document is to select the
part of the document you're interested in (section 1 in your case) and
define a bookmark for that range. Then add a \b switch to the TOC field. Eg,
if you call the bookmark MainPart, use

{TOC \b MainPart }

news