Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
goffer23 goffer23 is offline

Default Mail merge problem with Word 2007

I am having a problem in getting a successful mail merge to print some
labels usng Excel as a data source on a 3 column, 7 row sheet under Office
2007/Vista.
When doing the merge, only the first row of labels gets completed.
I have used the same Excel data under XP without problem.
I have tried doing it manually and using the 'wizard' but have failed
miserably - any thoughts please as to whether its me or a glitch somewhere?
(The Excel sheet and mail merge works well on my desktop under XP Pro and
Office XP)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Sounds like you possibly have some tablet-like functionality on your PC

Use the following macro to overcome the problem with propagation of mail
merge field fields with a label type mail merge when using a Tablet PC and
some other Computers that have Tablet PC Functionality available:

Sub MailMergePropagateLabel()

Dim atable As Table

Dim i As Long, j As Long

Dim source As Cell, target As Cell

Dim myrange As Range

Set atable = ActiveDocument.Tables(1)

Set source = atable.Cell(1, 1)

Set myrange = source.Range

myrange.Collapse wdCollapseStart

ActiveDocument.Fields.Add Range:=myrange, Text:="NEXT", _

PreserveFormatting:=False

source.Range.Copy

For j = 2 To atable.Columns.Count

Set target = atable.Cell(1, j)

If target.Range.Fields.Count 0 Then

target.Range.Paste

End If

Next j

For i = 2 To atable.Rows.Count

For j = 1 To atable.Columns.Count

Set target = atable.Cell(i, j)

If target.Range.Fields.Count 0 Then

target.Range.Paste

End If

Next j

Next i

atable.Cell(1, 1).Range.Fields(1).Delete

End Sub

It is suggested that you put this code into a template that you save in the
Word Startup folder so that it becomes an add-in and will be available
whenever you need it. As the macro has the same name as the Word Command
that is supposed to do the job, this macro will run when the Update Labels
button is used when setting up the mail merge label main document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"goffer23" wrote in message
news
I am having a problem in getting a successful mail merge to print some
labels usng Excel as a data source on a 3 column, 7 row sheet under Office
2007/Vista.
When doing the merge, only the first row of labels gets completed.
I have used the same Excel data under XP without problem.
I have tried doing it manually and using the 'wizard' but have failed
miserably - any thoughts please as to whether its me or a glitch
somewhere?
(The Excel sheet and mail merge works well on my desktop under XP Pro and
Office XP)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
goffer23 goffer23 is offline

Many thanks for your response but not being an expert I am unclear as to your
reasoning as to the cause of the problem.
However rather than bamboozle me further, if you would be kind enough to
give a brief summary as to how to do as you suggest with implementing a
macro within a template, it would be much appreciated.
Is this a common problem or am I an oddball?
Once again many thanks for your trouble.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

"goffer23" wrote in message
news
I am having a problem in getting a successful mail merge to print some
labels usng Excel as a data source on a 3 column, 7 row sheet under Office
2007/Vista.
When doing the merge, only the first row of labels gets completed.
I have used the same Excel data under XP without problem.
I have tried doing it manually and using the 'wizard' but have failed
miserably - any thoughts please as to whether its me or a glitch
somewhere?
(The Excel sheet and mail merge works well on my desktop under XP Pro and
Office XP)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See the article "What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup
readers to help me out?" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...eateAMacro.htm

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

"goffer23" wrote in message
news
I am having a problem in getting a successful mail merge to print some
labels usng Excel as a data source on a 3 column, 7 row sheet under
Office
2007/Vista.
When doing the merge, only the first row of labels gets completed.
I have used the same Excel data under XP without problem.
I have tried doing it manually and using the 'wizard' but have failed
miserably - any thoughts please as to whether its me or a glitch
somewhere?
(The Excel sheet and mail merge works well on my desktop under XP Pro
and
Office XP)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

There is a known problem to do with mailmerge to labels on PCs with tablet
functionality. The symptoms are /usually/ that the first few labels on the
sheet, plus some in the last row, are displayed/printed but the others are
blank. Then Word usually crashes. Although the symptoms have actually been
quite consistent whenever I have seen the problem, I don't know what the
"underlying" cause is, so I couldn't say whether /similar-sounding/ symptoms
result from the same problem. FWIW the symptoms seem too consistent for it
to be a "timing" problem

On Vista-based PCs the relevant "Tablet functionality" may be loaded even
though you do not have a "Tablet PC" - e.g. it is loaded here once I install
the drivers for an ordinary Wacom tablet device.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

"goffer23" wrote in message
news
I am having a problem in getting a successful mail merge to print some
labels usng Excel as a data source on a 3 column, 7 row sheet under
Office
2007/Vista.
When doing the merge, only the first row of labels gets completed.
I have used the same Excel data under XP without problem.
I have tried doing it manually and using the 'wizard' but have failed
miserably - any thoughts please as to whether its me or a glitch
somewhere?
(The Excel sheet and mail merge works well on my desktop under XP Pro
and
Office XP)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
goffer23 goffer23 is offline

Doug many thanks for your reply - have tried puttig the macro in but it has
come up with a syntax error on these 2 lines
'ActiveDocument.Fields.Add Range:=myrange, Text:="NEXT", _
PreserveFormatting:=False'

Is this me or is something amiss?

Peter - thanks for that, I do have a wacom tablet software installed so you
could be right. Is there any means of disabling it or does it mean removal?
I hope of course that the macro route can fix it

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

"goffer23" wrote in message
news I am having a problem in getting a successful mail merge to print some
labels usng Excel as a data source on a 3 column, 7 row sheet under
Office
2007/Vista.
When doing the merge, only the first row of labels gets completed.
I have used the same Excel data under XP without problem.
I have tried doing it manually and using the 'wizard' but have failed
miserably - any thoughts please as to whether its me or a glitch
somewhere?
(The Excel sheet and mail merge works well on my desktop under XP Pro
and
Office XP)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I haven't tried it here but what I would consider doing is
a. opening Vista Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Services (get through
any of the security dialogs Vista throws at you)
b. see if "Tablet PC Input Service" is listed. If so, select it,
right-click and choose "Stop".
c. Do the same for "TabletService"
d. do your merge
e. reselect "Tablet PC Input Service", right-click and click "Start", and
the same for "TabletService"

(It may be enough to Stop/Start one of those services)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"goffer23" wrote in message
news I am having a problem in getting a successful mail merge to print
some
labels usng Excel as a data source on a 3 column, 7 row sheet under
Office
2007/Vista.
When doing the merge, only the first row of labels gets completed.
I have used the same Excel data under XP without problem.
I have tried doing it manually and using the 'wizard' but have
failed
miserably - any thoughts please as to whether its me or a glitch
somewhere?
(The Excel sheet and mail merge works well on my desktop under XP
Pro
and
Office XP)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Remove the _ and the carriage return(s) at the end of the first line so that
the two lines become one. Copying and pasting to and from the mail program
appears to have inserted one too many carriage returns.

--

"goffer23" wrote in message
news I am having a problem in getting a successful mail merge to print
some
labels usng Excel as a data source on a 3 column, 7 row sheet under
Office
2007/Vista.
When doing the merge, only the first row of labels gets completed.
I have used the same Excel data under XP without problem.
I have tried doing it manually and using the 'wizard' but have
failed
miserably - any thoughts please as to whether its me or a glitch
somewhere?
(The Excel sheet and mail merge works well on my desktop under XP
Pro
and
Office XP)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
goffer23 goffer23 is offline

Doug - top man, works a treat!

Peter- thanks for your thoughts but will hold in reserve seeing as the macro
approach worked.

Many thanks both,