Becky Carter Hickman-Jones

Default Document Won't Accept or Reject Changes

I have a lengthy document that has been passed around to a couple of
different people. The document was written by one person using Word XP; he
sent it to me for editing and formatting in Word XP; I sent it off to
another person (Word XP) who enabled Track Changes/Reviewing (whatever you
want to call it these days) and then made changes; she then passed it off to
two other people (unknown versions) who added their comments and
recommendations.

Now the document has returned to me for editing, and while I can turn off
track changes, because I hate it, I cannot accept or reject any of the
changes. All of the suggestions remain colored and either underlined or
struck through. On the Reviewing toolbar, I have changed the view from
Original to Final, and nothing changes in the text display. When I show
Final, all of the red and blue text is still there. When I click the forward
and backward arrows in the Reviewing toolbar, Word tells me that there are
no other changes to be reviewed when clearly they are everywhere!

I have tried saving the document in a different format and then back to Word
XP. I have tried changing the compatibility of the document (Tools
Options). Nothing works. It's like the changes have been locked, like one
can lock a field to prevent it from being updated. I'll have to manually
edit each instance and reformat the whole document because of this.

Can anyone explain this behavior or provide a workaround? I have never seen
this happen before, but I wouldn't put it past Word to make a mess of
things!! Another reason not to use track changes!!

Thanks,
Beck

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Document Won't Accept or Reject Changes

Hi Beck,

It sounds like you're having trouble accepting or rejecting changes in a Word document that has been passed around and edited by multiple people. This can be a frustrating issue, but there are a few things you can try to resolve it.
  1. First, make sure that you have the document set to show all markup. To do this, go to the Review tab and click on the Show Markup dropdown. Make sure that all options are selected, including Comments, Ink, Insertions and Deletions, Formatting, and Balloons.
  2. If that doesn't work, try turning off Track Changes altogether. To do this, go to the Review tab and click on the Track Changes button to toggle it off. This should remove all of the colored text and underlines/strikethroughs.
  3. If you still can't accept or reject changes, it's possible that the document has become corrupted. Try saving a copy of the document and then opening the copy to see if the issue persists. You can also try copying and pasting the text into a new document to see if that resolves the issue.
  4. If none of these solutions work, it's possible that the document is simply too complex for Word to handle. In this case, you may need to manually edit each instance and reformat the whole document, as you mentioned.
__________________

Easy explanation: the people you sent this to don't know how to use Track
Changes and have applied the formatting as direct font formatting. If you
use Reveal Formatting, you'll doubtless see the evidence of this. (I would
think the document might have been protected for tracked changes, but I
would not expect Word to fail to "see" these changes even if you couldn't
accept or reject them.)

Before you tear out your last hair, see if you can figure out any formatting
that has been consistently used for deletions; search for text formatted
with that formatting and replace it with nothing. Then search for text
formatted as additions and remove the font formatting. sigh

"Becky Carter Hickman-Jones" wrote in message
[...]

Becky Carter Hickman-Jones

Thank you, Suzanne,

It's a trying process with some people who think they're masters...even I
have to look at the manual from time to time.

I ended up doing just that with this document, and I gave a brief but
tedious lecture to the author on this topic.

Beck

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Easy explanation: the people you sent this to don't know how to use Track
Changes and have applied the formatting as direct font formatting. If you
use Reveal Formatting, you'll doubtless see the evidence of this. (I would
think the document might have been protected for tracked changes, but I
would not expect Word to fail to "see" these changes even if you couldn't
accept or reject them.)

Before you tear out your last hair, see if you can figure out any

formatting
that has been consistently used for deletions; search for text formatted
with that formatting and replace it with nothing. Then search for text
formatted as additions and remove the font formatting. sigh

so

Mark Jerde

Becky Carter Hickman-Jones wrote:

It's a trying process with some people who think they're
masters...

Agreed. I got back a 200+ page doc where the other editors changed all the
autonumbered headers & paragraphs (e.g. 8.3.4.7) to their hardcoded values.

-- Mark

June

Becky, this isn't much help, but I had the same
experience with Tracking and it was on my original
document...so even with no stew of formats, I couldn't
get rid of it and finally had to call Microsoft. I know
that's not why you contacted this group, but I just
wanted to let you know that I tried the kind suggestions
given me and nothing worked, so I ended up calling. it's
a horrible program.

.