Linda

Default I have solid black lines in my word document that I can't remove

I was trying to make a little seperation in my document . I wanted it to be
something like this: ----------- Instead, I have a solid balck line that is
reaking havoc in my document. I can't delete it and it seems to multiply if I
try to move it. What is this and how can I be rid of it.
Herb Tyson [MVP]

It's border formatting, and it happened automatically, thanks to a bit of
"intellisense" programmed into Word.

To get rid of this, select the section containing the lines, and choose
Format - Borders and Shading - Borders tab, and click None.

To keep it from happening again, choose Tools - AutoCorrect Options -
AutoFormat as You Type, and remove the check next to Border Lines (under As
You Type). Take a look at the other options here, as well, since they could
well explain other unwanted conversions you might encounter.

Cheers,

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Linda" wrote in message
I was trying to make a little seperation in my document . I wanted it to
be
something like this: ----------- Instead, I have a solid balck line that
is
reaking havoc in my document. I can't delete it and it seems to multiply
if I
try to move it. What is this and how can I be rid of it.

Joe McGuire

Well, selecting the whole document will accomplish the same thing. If you
have any tables or other borders in the document you want to keep, you will
eliminate them all. Actually you can't really "select" the horizontal line
the way you would select some text. You just have to plant the cursor on
top of the line (maybe a hair above it) and then go to Borders & Shadings
and set it to None. If it is already set to None try again and aim a little
differently.