Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melissa

Default Font size of Comment Text not changing

I added some Comments to my document and formatted the Style "Comment Text"
to font size 8. The rest of my document uses size 10. However, when I
visually inspect my document, it looks like there is no difference in my
Comment Text size and my document text size, i.e. they both look Size 10.
Can anybody provide an explanation for this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

There are three styles associated with comments. Are you sure you edited the
right one?
Comment Reference
Comment Subject
Comment Style
Select the comment text in question and see what the toolbar style display
says is the style. With it selected you can edit it using format style.

Melissa wrote:
I added some Comments to my document and formatted the Style "Comment
Text" to font size 8. The rest of my document uses size 10.
However, when I visually inspect my document, it looks like there is
no difference in my Comment Text size and my document text size, i.e.
they both look Size 10. Can anybody provide an explanation for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melissa

When I view the style in the Format Style toolbox, it looks correct, i.e.
font size 8. I applied this same style "COmment Text" to my text but it
still looks like it's font size 10. I've even tried "Clear Formatting"
several times and applying the "Comment Text" style.

Melissa wrote:
I added some Comments to my document and formatted the Style "Comment
Text" to font size 8. The rest of my document uses size 10.
However, when I visually inspect my document, it looks like there is
no difference in my Comment Text size and my document text size, i.e.
they both look Size 10. Can anybody provide an explanation for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Frankly I don't know why this should be happening. It is not normal
behaviour. May I suggest that you try renaming your normal.dot file to
oldnormal.dot and (temporarily) remove any add-ins and see what happens. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Melissa wrote:
I added some Comments to my document and formatted the Style
"Comment Text" to font size 8. The rest of my document uses size
10. However, when I visually inspect my document, it looks like
there is no difference in my Comment Text size and my document text
size, i.e. they both look Size 10. Can anybody provide an
explanation for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

A couple of simple questions just in case.

You say you have confirmed that your comment text is size 8 but have you
confirmed that your other text (which looks the same) is actually size 10?

Are both comment and other text in the same font?

What does it look like if you set the comment text font size to 10?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

Melissa wrote:
I added some Comments to my document and formatted the Style
"Comment Text" to font size 8. The rest of my document uses size
10. However, when I visually inspect my document, it looks like
there is no difference in my Comment Text size and my document text
size, i.e. they both look Size 10. Can anybody provide an
explanation for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melissa

Tony,
I even modified my Comment Text to size 20 but it looks the same as my
document text (Normal style). When I'm typing my comment text, I can see, in
the toolbar, that the font size is 16. When I click within my document,
among my Normal text, this toolbar shows font size 10. So it looks like it's
recognising my formatting changes...

Melissa wrote:
I added some Comments to my document and formatted the Style
"Comment Text" to font size 8. The rest of my document uses size
10. However, when I visually inspect my document, it looks like
there is no difference in my Comment Text size and my document text
size, i.e. they both look Size 10. Can anybody provide an
explanation for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melissa

Hi Suzanne,
I'm looking at the comments in the balloons.
I also want to add that when I insert a new comment, the formatting style
shown is Comment Text. Which is how I'm sure I'm changing the font size for
the correct style (i.e. not comment reference, etc.)

Melissa wrote:
I added some Comments to my document and formatted the Style
"Comment Text" to font size 8. The rest of my document uses size
10. However, when I visually inspect my document, it looks like
there is no difference in my Comment Text size and my document

text
size, i.e. they both look Size 10. Can anybody provide an
explanation for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, I'm seeing the same thing here. I would have to say that this is a
bug. I'll escalate it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you looking for this change in the Reviewing pane or in the

balloons?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Melissa wrote:
I added some Comments to my document and formatted the Style
"Comment Text" to font size 8. The rest of my document uses

size
10. However, when I visually inspect my document, it looks

like
there is no difference in my Comment Text size and my document

text
size, i.e. they both look Size 10. Can anybody provide an
explanation for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have learned that the font size of comments (and all other text) appearing
in balloons is dependent on the font size set for Balloon Text. This is
doubly a bug, but at least it's an explanation.

Melissa wrote:
I added some Comments to my document and formatted the Style
"Comment Text" to font size 8. The rest of my document uses

size
10. However, when I visually inspect my document, it looks

like
there is no difference in my Comment Text size and my document

text
size, i.e. they both look Size 10. Can anybody provide an
explanation for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

You're not likely to stumble over that one quickly. Thanks Suzanne.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I have learned that the font size of comments (and all other text)

appearing
in balloons is dependent on the font size set for Balloon Text. This is
doubly a bug, but at least it's an explanation.

so
all may benefit.

Melissa wrote:
I added some Comments to my document and formatted the Style
"Comment Text" to font size 8. The rest of my document uses

size
10. However, when I visually inspect my document, it looks

like
there is no difference in my Comment Text size and my

document
text
size, i.e. they both look Size 10. Can anybody provide an
explanation for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Jim is offline

This is a VERY useful observation and solution for a problem that was
annoying me. Many thanks.
Jim

Melissa wrote:
I added some Comments to my document and formatted the Style
"Comment Text" to font size 8. The rest of my document uses

size
10. However, when I visually inspect my document, it looks

like
there is no difference in my Comment Text size and my document
text
size, i.e. they both look Size 10. Can anybody provide an
explanation for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Jim is offline

By the way, this STILL applies in the newly released Word 2007 (which is
where I had my problem) - and there seems to be no clear official help or
information regarding this peculiar quirk.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think it's by design. Because Word uses the size of the Balloon Text
when doing the superfast screen drawing computation about how big to
make the balloons. Or somesuch. It would be nice if it were mentioned
in Help--but my Help doesn't say anything about how to change the
appearance of the comments at all (MacWord 2004).

Jim wrote:
By the way, this STILL applies in the newly released Word 2007 (which is
where I had my problem) - and there seems to be no clear official help or
information regarding this peculiar quirk.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patricia O''Donnell SSJ Patricia O''Donnell SSJ is offline

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I thought I was losing my mind, looking for
a way to change the comment text font size. I learned how to do this in Word
2000 without much frustration, but 2003 (and I gather, 2007 as well) presents
real difficulty here.