gordo

Default Suggestion for Queries

A large number of queries start the subject line with: How, Is there, I
need, I want, In Word, Word, or Why. I would like to recommend that it would
be much more productive to put a key word such as: Find and replace,
Subscript, Line spacing, Graph, Recover files, etc. as the first word
of the subject. That way, both the OP and those who reply would be more
likely to see the main subject rather that try to parse subject lines for a
clue about the query.

Just a suggestion.

Gordo

Jay Freedman

gordo wrote:
A large number of queries start the subject line with: How, Is there,
I need, I want, In Word, Word, or Why. I would like to recommend that
it would be much more productive to put a key word such as: Find and
replace, Subscript, Line spacing, Graph, Recover files, etc. as the
first word of the subject. That way, both the OP and those who reply
would be more likely to see the main subject rather that try to parse
subject lines for a clue about the query.

Just a suggestion.

Gordo

Hi Gordo,

While that's an excellent suggestion, I can tell you from years of
experience that it falls on deaf ears -- mostly those of people who've never
posted before and may never post again. We can't even get people to post
their questions in appropriate newsgroups all the time, or to use the
description area instead of posting the whole question in the Subject line.
It's like getting kids to eat their veggies. :-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Greg

Oh Please, Pleeeeeaaaase No!!! No offense Charles :-)

Actually, I think they do read some of them: somewhere in Word's Help, it is
recommended that you ask a question such as "How do I...?" If the user can't
get the answer from Help, he's offered the opportunity to "Get help from
other users," and that's how those questions get into the NGs.

.. .