Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
THE GREAT AMERICAN HEART HOAX byDr.Ozner THE GREAT AMERICAN HEART HOAX byDr.Ozner is offline

Default how do I RETRIEVE a LETTER DELETED in ERROR in "Microsoft Word"?IM

Editing two letters while working in Microsoft WORD I DELETED THE WRONG
LETTER IN ERROR..!
IS THERE ANY WAY TO RETRIEVE THE LETTER??? MOST IMP'T !!! THANKS.
"Musicoz"
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Musicoz,

Yes, it's quite simple, really. All you need to do is to reload the document from the backups you've kept as a safeguard against
just such an occurence.

--
Cheers
macropod

"THE GREAT AMERICAN HEART HOAX byDr.Ozner" THE GREAT AMERICAN HEART HOAX wrote in message
Editing two letters while working in Microsoft WORD I DELETED THE WRONG
LETTER IN ERROR..!
IS THERE ANY WAY TO RETRIEVE THE LETTER??? MOST IMP'T !!! THANKS.
"Musicoz"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jan Groshan Jan Groshan is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
If you deleted it normally it will be in the recycle bin.

Unless you're working on a network through an exchange server and then it
may be lost forever. That's happened to me too many times to count ! Nothing
ever seems to wind up in my recycle bin unless it's something stored on my C
drive, as opposed to being stored on a network server.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

That's happened to me too many times to count !

For most people, once would be enough!! If you're making a habit of this, the sys admin should take away your keyboard ...

--
Cheers
macropod

"Jan Groshan" wrote in message ...

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
If you deleted it normally it will be in the recycle bin.

Unless you're working on a network through an exchange server and then it
may be lost forever. That's happened to me too many times to count ! Nothing
ever seems to wind up in my recycle bin unless it's something stored on my C
drive, as opposed to being stored on a network server.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jan Groshan Jan Groshan is offline

Not actually a habit. Just so busy at work that sometimes I just click the
wrong button, or save over an older document....that's even worse, it's
totally not retrievable. Hmmm.....I'm 64. Maybe it's time to retire....but
then what would I do all day?

"macropod" wrote in message
That's happened to me too many times to count !

For most people, once would be enough!! If you're making a habit of this,
the sys admin should take away your keyboard ...

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Jan Groshan" wrote in message

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
If you deleted it normally it will be in the recycle bin.

Unless you're working on a network through an exchange server and then it
may be lost forever. That's happened to me too many times to count !
Nothing
ever seems to wind up in my recycle bin unless it's something stored on
my C
drive, as opposed to being stored on a network server.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Jan

If you are using a letter to create a similar letter, you have two options.
The first is that if this is recurring frequently, you should create a
template to use.

If it is only occasionally that you need to send an almost duplicate letter,
then use the Open as a Copy which you will find if you click the tiny arrow
attached to the OPEN button in the File Open dialog. Then when you save the
new letter, you will be prompted to assign a new name.

There are tutorials on creating your own template - which should be quite
simple for a letter - here under Using Templates:

http://word.mvps.org/Tutorials/index.htm

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"macropod" wrote in message
That's happened to me too many times to count !

For most people, once would be enough!! If you're making a habit of this,
the sys admin should take away your keyboard ...

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Jan Groshan" wrote in message

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
If you deleted it normally it will be in the recycle bin.

Unless you're working on a network through an exchange server and then
it
may be lost forever. That's happened to me too many times to count !
Nothing
ever seems to wind up in my recycle bin unless it's something stored on
my C
drive, as opposed to being stored on a network server.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jan Groshan Jan Groshan is offline

Thanks Terry. Didn't know about that "open as a copy" trick. Thing is, if I
click on a document to open in the directory it just takes one click for it
to open automatically, not givingme a chance to click the "open as a copy"
arrow.....and yes, I know I can change the one click option, but I'm lazy.
To tell the truth, saving over has yet to create a problem for me because
there's always a hard copy in the file, and if worse came to worse I could
always scan the hard copy. It's really not a problem, I was just commenting
on the original post.

"macropod" wrote in message
That's happened to me too many times to count !

For most people, once would be enough!! If you're making a habit of
this, the sys admin should take away your keyboard ...

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Jan Groshan" wrote in message

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
If you deleted it normally it will be in the recycle bin.

Unless you're working on a network through an exchange server and then
it
may be lost forever. That's happened to me too many times to count !
Nothing
ever seems to wind up in my recycle bin unless it's something stored on
my C
drive, as opposed to being stored on a network server.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Try this instead: Right-click and choose New. The document will then
function as a template. In recent versions you'll get an error message that
"The command cannot be performed because a dialog box is open," but when you
close the Open dialog box, you get the new document. You can also do this
(without error message) from Windows Explorer.

http://word.mvps.org

"macropod" wrote in message
That's happened to me too many times to count !

For most people, once would be enough!! If you're making a habit of
this, the sys admin should take away your keyboard ...

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Jan Groshan" wrote in message

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
If you deleted it normally it will be in the recycle bin.

Unless you're working on a network through an exchange server and then
it
may be lost forever. That's happened to me too many times to count !
Nothing
ever seems to wind up in my recycle bin unless it's something stored
on my C
drive, as opposed to being stored on a network server.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Word 2003 (and perhaps 2002) have an option in the New Document task pane to
create a new document "From existing document...," but that seems cumbersome
to me. You have to get the task pane open and then navigate to the document;
if you've already located the document, New is simpler. OTOH, the task pane
does at least start from the currently active folder.

http://word.mvps.org

"macropod" wrote in message
That's happened to me too many times to count !

For most people, once would be enough!! If you're making a habit of
this, the sys admin should take away your keyboard ...

--
Cheers
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Jan Groshan" wrote in message

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
If you deleted it normally it will be in the recycle bin.

Unless you're working on a network through an exchange server and
then
it
may be lost forever. That's happened to me too many times to count !
Nothing
ever seems to wind up in my recycle bin unless it's something stored
on my C
drive, as opposed to being stored on a network server.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Contact your IT people and ask them to restore the file with a new name to
your folder.

PamC

Jan Groshan wrote:
Not actually a habit. Just so busy at work that sometimes I just click the
wrong button, or save over an older document....that's even worse, it's
totally not retrievable. Hmmm.....I'm 64. Maybe it's time to retire....but
then what would I do all day?

That's happened to me too many times to count !

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]