Arthur McPhee

Default why does the whole page go to bold when I select Bold for the tit.

why does the whole page go to bold when I select Bold for the title, this
also happens if I want to change a font size.

I have just installed Office 2003 onto my Laptop, my desktop works fine.
garfield-n-odie

Hi, Arthur. Turn off "automatically update" in your style definitions.
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm
for more information.

Arthur McPhee wrote:
why does the whole page go to bold when I select Bold for the title, this
also happens if I want to change a font size.

I have just installed Office 2003 onto my Laptop, my desktop works fine.

This would in no way solve the problem, as applying Strong would merely
apply strong to the entire document until the underlying problem (styles
updating automatically) is dealt with.

"Word Heretic" wrote in message
G'day "Arthur McPhee" Arthur ,

Create styles for each instance of differently appearing text and
apply those styles to the relevant paragraphs. Bold is a character
style called Strong, you can redirect Ctrl+B to apply that style.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

"Arthur McPhee" Arthur
reckoned:

why does the whole page go to bold when I select Bold for the title, this
also happens if I want to change a font size.

I have just installed Office 2003 onto my Laptop, my desktop works fine.

Word Heretic

G'day Suzanne,

Incorrect. As strong is a character style it will not affect the
paragraph style definition which is what occurring for this user by
using direct formatting.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

Suzanne S. Barnhill reckoned:

This would in no way solve the problem, as applying Strong would merely
apply strong to the entire document until the underlying problem (styles
updating automatically) is dealt with.

We are referring here to direct font formatting, and character styles are
still direct font formatting. But I did try this, and it seems you're right
(though I'm not sure why). Still, although the workaround works, it should
not be necessary and isn't necessary when the fundamental required
correction is applied.

"Word Heretic" wrote in message
G'day Suzanne,

Incorrect. As strong is a character style it will not affect the
paragraph style definition which is what occurring for this user by
using direct formatting.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

Suzanne S. Barnhill reckoned:

This would in no way solve the problem, as applying Strong would merely
apply strong to the entire document until the underlying problem (styles
updating automatically) is dealt with.

Word Heretic

G'day "Suzanne S. Barnhill" ,

Still, although the workaround works, it should
not be necessary and isn't necessary when the fundamental required
correction is applied.

Absolutely, but a small step is much easier to contemplate than a huge
leap. That is, getting used to a single character style is a good
start on the road towards complete style control :-)

The why is easy enough - if the formatting has a style behind it, it
has something to 'stick to' other than the base paragraph settings.
With no style, the formatting has to be applied to the paragraph. Thus
using strong gives the bold something to stick to so it doesn't
interfere with the base style of Normal, which then affects all paras
of normal.