Samick

Default Replace List Formatting

I'm attempting to replace bullets in my document and can't distinguish which
one is which.
I'd like a macro that can go through my Word 2003 document and replace all
the instances where there was bulleted list and replace it with another
bulleted list. My problem is I have 4 different bulleted lists and can't
figure a way to differentiate which one I've found. I'd like to go through
and apply a style in relation to what the list is using for a bullet (Font,
Character and Color). They were Monotype Sorts Triange, Square, Circle and
Cross symbols with different colors in Word 97. Monotype Sorts is gone with
our new XP/2003 builds and so I want to convert these all to using Arial.
Can anyone please help? Many many documents to deal with and I really don't
want to go through each one manually.
Word Heretic

G'day Samick,

I will use this as input for the article I am preparing with all the
crazy bits of code you need to move to a standardised baseline.

You need a two step process. First, you need to create a nice new
template with nice new styles and lists set from VBA. For this you
will need the sister article about setting styles. Most people want to
skip this step, but it is usually vital. It will take you a few weeks
to ensure your style guide is represented in repeatable instances by
VBA.

If you don't know anything about VBA, run off to
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/index.htm, select the VBA / Macros tab and
get to work on the tutorials at the start - they take about 20 mins.

Then, you need to convert all your bulleted lists to styles with a
name reflecting their bullet code. As this requires a lot of
prerequisite code from the article, I'm afraid the complete answer
will have to wait for a month or so. So email me in a few weeks steve
at wordheretic.com and ask for preview copy for a full solution.

After doing all this you need to Maggie the resultant mess into a new
document created from the templates set up in the first step that most
people skip, as they REALLY wanted to avoid this step, which also
means the first step. You can try and run before the storm with your
flags unfurled and no sheets stowed, but you will only end up in
tangled mess.

Also check out the batch document processing macros on the MVP website
as you'll be able to wrap those around the provided code to
automatically deal with entire folder trees of documents at once.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

Samick reckoned:

I'm attempting to replace bullets in my document and can't distinguish which
one is which.
I'd like a macro that can go through my Word 2003 document and replace all
the instances where there was bulleted list and replace it with another
bulleted list. My problem is I have 4 different bulleted lists and can't
figure a way to differentiate which one I've found. I'd like to go through
and apply a style in relation to what the list is using for a bullet (Font,
Character and Color). They were Monotype Sorts Triange, Square, Circle and
Cross symbols with different colors in Word 97. Monotype Sorts is gone with
our new XP/2003 builds and so I want to convert these all to using Arial.
Can anyone please help? Many many documents to deal with and I really don't
want to go through each one manually.

Sage81 Sage81 is offline
Junior Member

I saw you can do a multiple find and replace a list of items in text online at http://list-replace.info . Maybe this can help.