Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Natelle Natelle is offline

Default Numbering bugs when saving Word 2007 as Word 97-2003

Using both Word 2003 and Word 2007 on Windows XP OS

Okay, I've been dealing with this problem for awhile now. but it causes a
lot of extra work. Half our staff use Word 2003 (home workers) and the other
half have upgraded to Word 2007. I use both Word 2003 (telecommuting) and
Word 2007 (office) and I do the finalizing of these files here. We share
large-document files among us, so we save the files as Word 97-2003 so
everyone can access. This results in numbering getting completely out of
whack after you save it and reopne. Also the heading formatting is lost
sometimes (bold is changed to not-bold). Note that these same exact problems
occur when you have the Word 2007 converter installed for Word 2003. Also
styles sometimes just change on me spontaneously (as if "automatic update"
was checked on the style, though it is not).

How have you been dealing with this? Any fresh ideas? I have been just not
using numbering in some books, but for books where I HAVE to use both heading
numbering and list numbering, I am just saving the FINAL document file as
Word 2007, correcting all the numbering problems at that time. This means we
all have to tolerate flakey numbering as we pass the document around AND a
huge amount of work for me at the end trying to correct all the problems when
the file is very large. And the numbering gets REALLY out of whack.

Any knowledge about this? I find NOTHING in the KnowledgeBase.

Thanks much,

Natelle