Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bah

Default Word document opening in Word Pad

When I copy a document from the network to my lap top, the document opens in
Word Pad rather than Word. What is causing this problem and how do I fix it?
I also noticed that PowerPoint files copied down do not open and do not even
show that they are PowerPoint documents. This is a new lap top and the
Office SUite was installed on it recently.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Herb Tyson [MVP]

You might try Help - Detect and Repair. Does that restore/repair the
associations?

If not, then take a look he

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q210565/

to see if reregistering via the /r switch helps. If the problem also occurs
with other Office applications, however, I suspect it's a broader
installation issue that can't be fixed simply by using Word's /r switch.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"bah" wrote in message
news
When I copy a document from the network to my lap top, the document opens
in
Word Pad rather than Word. What is causing this problem and how do I fix
it?
I also noticed that PowerPoint files copied down do not open and do not
even
show that they are PowerPoint documents. This is a new lap top and the
Office SUite was installed on it recently.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rachel Rachel is offline

I'm sorry Herb, this makes no sense to me. Perhaps there is a more simple
answer.

I just bought Office 2007 and installed it on my laptop. Now, every time I
open a Word document one of my students sends me through email, it opens in
Wordpad and shows a bunch of garbled language. My students have brand new
laptops to use and they all have Office 2007. If I download the document and
save it, then try to open it, I still get Wordpad and the garbled language.
However, if I open Word first, then choose "Open" (document), I am able to
open the saved student work. It is very frustrating. I am used to just
clicking on the file and having the file open no problem. It just won't do
it.

I can't open Power Points either.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

You might try Help - Detect and Repair. Does that restore/repair the
associations?

If not, then take a look he

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q210565/

to see if reregistering via the /r switch helps. If the problem also occurs
with other Office applications, however, I suspect it's a broader
installation issue that can't be fixed simply by using Word's /r switch.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"bah" wrote in message
news
When I copy a document from the network to my lap top, the document opens
in
Word Pad rather than Word. What is causing this problem and how do I fix
it?
I also noticed that PowerPoint files copied down do not open and do not
even
show that they are PowerPoint documents. This is a new lap top and the
Office SUite was installed on it recently.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See the article "How to re-register Word when problems crop up opening
files€¯ at:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...gisterWord.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

You might try Help - Detect and Repair. Does that restore/repair the
associations?

If not, then take a look he

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q210565/

to see if reregistering via the /r switch helps. If the problem also
occurs
with other Office applications, however, I suspect it's a broader
installation issue that can't be fixed simply by using Word's /r switch.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
news