Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GTifeld GTifeld is offline

Default Preserving Word Doc with Excel Link

Hi. Here's my story.

I had long ago created a Word doc with a link to an excel file for someone.
She would periodically update the data in Excel, then open the doc and accept
the prompt to update accordingly. She'd then be able to preserve the document
by selecting all, then hitting CTRL-SHIFT-F9, then save under a new name.
That would allow her to open the new document without getting any messages
about links or updates.

Well, the document was lost and she doesn't have a backup. I've been able to
recreate it from memory, but there's one problem. When I do the CTRL-A (to
select all) and CTRL-SHIFT-F9 part, it selects everything except the link. So
when we open the new saved doc, it still asks if we want to update as per the
link.

I'm guessing I must've done something wrong when setting up the link in the
first place. I copied the cells from the source, then did a PASTE-SPECIAL,
PASTE LINK, then chose "Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object".

What am I doing wrong? Thank you all in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My guess is that the linked Excel object is formatted with
something other than "inline with text" text wrapping, which puts
the linked Excel object in the drawing layer of the Word doc, not
in the text layer. Pressing Ctrl+A only selects stuff in the
text layer, and pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9 only unlinks fields in
selected text.

GTifeld wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word function. Open the Word document. Right-click on the Excel
object that you paste linked into Word. Choose "inline with
text" wrapping. Specifically how you do this depends on what
version of Word you're using, but you don't seem to know and I
can't see your screen from here.

GTifeld wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
GTifeld GTifeld is offline

Both Word & Excel are ver. 2000 (under Office 2000).

I followed your directions, but don't see the option for "inline...". I
clicked on each option listed with sub-menus, but saw no such options there
either.