Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
biochemanya biochemanya is offline

Default faulty save

After working on a large ish word doc this week and making several saves
(including backing it up to a flash drive), I went to work on it today to
find that it had reverted to an old version of the file from 4 days ago. The
file name remained the same but it claimed it was last modified 4 days ago,
not yesterday or the day before. Yesterday when I opened it it was fine and
had the changes that I had made the day before, but now they are all gone. My
computer hasn't crashed or anything.
Is my data lost forever or is there someway to get my data back?
thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi

Is there an email involved in this story? Did you open the file from an
email, work on it, save it, and then close it? If so, then your file may
well be gone forever. When you open a file from an email, you're just
opening a temporary version of the file. When you close the file, the
temporary file is deleted.

If there is not an email involved in the story, then my guess is that:
- 4 days ago you saved the document in place A
- The day before yesterday you opened the document from place A and saved it
in place B
- Yesterday you opened it in place B and saved it in place B.
- Today you opened the original document from place A again, so you have the
4-day ago version.

How, exactly, are you opening the document?

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"biochemanya" wrote in message
After working on a large ish word doc this week and making several saves
(including backing it up to a flash drive), I went to work on it today to
find that it had reverted to an old version of the file from 4 days ago.
The
file name remained the same but it claimed it was last modified 4 days
ago,
not yesterday or the day before. Yesterday when I opened it it was fine
and
had the changes that I had made the day before, but now they are all gone.
My
computer hasn't crashed or anything.
Is my data lost forever or is there someway to get my data back?
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Not necessarily deleted - You should never open Word attachments directly
from e-mail - however it *may* be possible to recover your changes. See
http://www.gmayor.com/outlook_attachments.htm