Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Weyana Weyana is offline

Default Can't figure how to Automatically fill in frequently typed phr

Actually, you can--I am. Normal.dotm may be the default, but defaults can be
changed.

I tried my Normal.dot as an Add-in first, and that is what kept resetting.
Everytime I opened Word, I had to go in and re-enable the Add-in for it to
work.

On the other hand, the last step I took worked:

Office button - Word Options - Advanced - File Locations, and then I
modified the templates location to point toward my network drive as I had
with my documents folder and just forgot where the setting was. It has
worked properly ever since.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

OK, I see your point, but it doesn't alter the fact that the default user
template for Word 2007 is not normal.dot but normal.dotm.
You could use normal.dot as an addin or you could use it to help create
normal.dotm, but you cannot use it *instead* of normal.dotm.

Weyana wrote:
On the contrary--I was able to make it work. We have our own shared
server at home, on which I store my work so that I can have access
whether I'm on my desktop or my laptop. My Word 2003 Normal.dot is
saved to this network.

What that article is indicating is that multiple users cannot use a
shared Normal template concurrently, because the user who opened it
first would have write-access, and any changes that another user made
to the Auto-Correct entries or anything else would be lost.

I'm the only one using it, I just access it from different computers.
But it's perfectly compatible with 2007--I just had to find the right
way share it.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Weyana wrote:
But so far, every time I have used it, I've had to reload my shared
Normal.dot. It doesn't automatically load when it opens for some
reason. :P Hoping I finally made it stick today.

You cannot share the Normal.dot file
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811468
The normal template for Word 2007 is normal.dotm