Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diana Diana is offline

Default TOC - Automatic Numbering

I'm shifting gears with my TOC.

I have a 42 page document, formatted using styles that includes automatic
numbering (outline). I have manually "marked" the entries I want to show in
the TOC and at what level. When I generate the TOC, the text shows up in the
TOC, but not the section number (that is applied to paragraph using
Numbering). How do I get the section number to show up with the title in the
TOC.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

When you mark text for inclusion in the TOC, Word creates TC fields;
these will not include the paragraph number. What you can do is add a
cross-reference to the paragraph number inside the TC field: Display
hidden text (for example by pressing the ¶ button on the Standard
toolbar) to see the TC field. Add the cross-reference before the text
but after the opening quotation mark. For example:

{ TC "Insert cross-ref here This is my marked text" \l 1 }

However, it would be easier to create a table of contents based on
styles instead; this would automatically include the numbering. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html.

For an existing TOC, you can modify the TOC field code so that it
references styles instead of TC fields. Press Alt+F9 to show the field
codes. Delete the \f switch, add an \o or \t switch, update the TOC
with F9 and press Alt+F9 again to hide field codes. For more on TOC
switches, see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/TOCSwitches.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Diana" wrote in message
I'm shifting gears with my TOC.

I have a 42 page document, formatted using styles that includes
automatic
numbering (outline). I have manually "marked" the entries I want to
show in
the TOC and at what level. When I generate the TOC, the text shows
up in the
TOC, but not the section number (that is applied to paragraph using
Numbering). How do I get the section number to show up with the
title in the TOC.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Diana Diana is offline

Stefan:

Your cross-reference idea sounds perfect! I will give that a try.

Regarding using styles, I have always created my TOC's using styles. And
the TOC would grab the beginning text of the section until the first period.
Now with Word 2003 when I use that same method, the TOC grabs the entire
paragraph and includes that in the TOC. So I've been searching for
alternatives.

--Diana

"Diana" wrote in message
I'm shifting gears with my TOC.

I have a 42 page document, formatted using styles that includes
automatic
numbering (outline). I have manually "marked" the entries I want to
show in
the TOC and at what level. When I generate the TOC, the text shows
up in the
TOC, but not the section number (that is applied to paragraph using
Numbering). How do I get the section number to show up with the
title in the TOC.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To accomplish what you want with styles, take a look at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/RunInSidehead.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP