Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rp2chil rp2chil is offline

Default Borders in first cell of a table

I created a table, then filled in my columns and cells with data. I then
went ahead and unselected all borders to none. Each time I open this
document with the table, this same table always leaves a border around the
first cell and row. Has anyone had this happen to them?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm wondering if maybe there is a style assigned to that cell, and if
Automatically update is enabled, so that each time you open that file, the
underlying styles are reapplied, undoing direct formatting you applied. If
so, there might be additional formatting that's being undone each time you
open, but perhaps not as conspicuous as that table cell's borders.

You don't say which version of Word this is. But, assuming it's Word 2003,
open the file, and choose Tools - Templates and Add-ins. Is Automatically
update document styles enabled? If so, then that's probably why the cell is
reverted each time the document is opened.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"rp2chil" wrote in message
I created a table, then filled in my columns and cells with data. I then
went ahead and unselected all borders to none. Each time I open this
document with the table, this same table always leaves a border around the
first cell and row. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rp2chil rp2chil is offline

Herb, thanks so much for your response. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that
I'm using Word 2002. And I did try your steps, however, it didn't fix the
problem.

"rp2chil" wrote in message
I created a table, then filled in my columns and cells with data. I then
went ahead and unselected all borders to none. Each time I open this
document with the table, this same table always leaves a border around the
first cell and row. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Was Automatically update styles... enabled?

Is there a distinct style applied to the misbehaving cell? If so, see what
style is applied to the other cells, and apply the same style to the problem
cell.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"rp2chil" wrote in message
I created a table, then filled in my columns and cells with data. I
then
went ahead and unselected all borders to none. Each time I open this
document with the table, this same table always leaves a border around
the
first cell and row. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rp2chil rp2chil is offline

Herb, you're brilliant. That worked. For the record, I selected the table,
clicked on "Clear Formatting" from my style sheets, and then applied the
table text that was in the template already (created by soemoen else).
Thanks SO much. I did have the Automatically update styles disabled....

"rp2chil" wrote in message
I created a table, then filled in my columns and cells with data. I
then
went ahead and unselected all borders to none. Each time I open this
document with the table, this same table always leaves a border around
the
first cell and row. Has anyone had this happen to them?

What are my cell borders now? MJones Tables 3 July 1st 06 04:05 AM
Make cell borders disappear when embedding Excel object in Word? PhoenixM Microsoft Word Help 1 April 27th 06 06:56 PM
(Mis)alignment of drawing layer grid lines and table borders [email protected] Page Layout 3 April 26th 06 06:09 PM
caption in a table cell janh Tables 8 April 11th 06 06:40 PM
strange behaviour of boxed paragraph in table J. Verburg Tables 6 September 14th 05 11:52 AM