Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
daneel daneel is offline

Default Bookfold with center landscape page

I am using Word 2002. The printer is an HP8540 set for Landscape Duplex.

Page setup is bookfold except for the center page which I want to be
Normal Landscape.

I realise that for bookfold it calculates which pages to put together
and with one piece of paper for the center page this throws that
calculation out of course. I tried putting a dummy page at the end but
that's no good either.

Whatever I have tried with various Section Breaks I don't seem to be
able to achieve what I want. Though I can get it right on the screen,
(when not using Bookfold) the printing is all out of order. There don't
seem to be any relevant Printer Options to play with, but maybe I'm
missing something.

Once I specify Bookfold, it applies to the whole document and not just
one Section.

I have even tried to work with '2 pages per sheet' and specifying the
page print order but couldn't get that to work.

I have tried all the tricks in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...apeSection.htm but got nowhere.

Can anyone please suggest how I can achieve creating a booklet (to print
duplex) with a center landscape page?

Thanks, Dan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

daneel wrote:
Whatever I have tried with various Section Breaks I don't seem to be
able to achieve what I want. Though I can get it right on the screen,
(when not using Bookfold) the printing is all out of order. There
don't seem to be any relevant Printer Options to play with, but maybe
I'm missing something.

In the Page Range box, enter the pages you want to print in the
appropriate order--say, 1, 8, 7, 2, 3, 6, etc. (Note I don't actually
know the right order).

But normally this approaches is combined with printing 2-up, and I don't
know that you can print 2-up for only part of a document.

Me, I'd probably do the centerfold in a different document, leave 2
blank pages in the booklet, and do some manual photocopying to assemble.
But that's a worst case scenario.

This description of a manual method might help also:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...etPrinting.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
daneel daneel is offline

Daiya

Thank you very much for pointing me to that BookletPrinting page where I
picked up the VB Macro which I think I can change to do what I want.

My idea is to get it to print to the half-way point from the current
document then print the one landscape page from another document (?)
then print the rest of the current document.

Is this feasible?

Do you know where I can find the VB syntax for printing document B while
running the macro in document A ?

Many thanks,

Dan

Daiya Mitchell wrote:
daneel wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'm afraid I haven't a clue re either of your questions, as this is not
one of my fields of expertise at all. I only answered because I thought
(wrongly) that you had missed the ability to enter pages to print in order.

You can post to a group with word.vba or Word Programming in the name
for VBA questions, you'll reach more knowledgeable people there.

I assume you need to print this document multiple times, rather than get
one assembled and photocopy it. The electronic version of manual
photocopying--you might consider investigating a decent PDF utility that
would let you print the regular booklet pages to PDF (including 2 blank
pages), then delete the blank pages and insert the centerfold page (also
PDFed) in the right location, and then use the PDF to print from.
Acrobat would do it, but there are probably cheaper programs.

If you aren't going to edit the booklet a lot, that might be easier than
trying to program printer drivers to print two *separate* print jobs
duplex on the *same* sheet of paper. Even if you are going to edit it a
lot, it still might be easier to write the code to assemble different
PDF files than to program printer drivers.

The real issue, by the way, is that what you want is the type of thing
that page layout publishing programs are designed to do. Word has some
page layout features, but it's a word processor, not a page layout
application. If you already have Publisher, which is a page layout app,
it may be worth investigating, although I'm not familiar with it myself.

Sorry not to be more helpful,
Daiya

Daiya Mitchell wrote:
daneel wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
daneel daneel is offline

Diaya

Thank you for your helpful reply.
I have started experimenting with the VB scripts and I think I can
achieve what I want (though not quickly!).

Your suggestion of printing to PDFs then manipulating them is a good
idea and one that I may follow up on - it may turn out to be simpler
that way; I hadn't thought of this approach.

I want to end up with a pdf that I will send to a printhouse eventually
but I would like to be able to print myself a rough copy to show people
and get it proofread.

If/when I come up with a workable solution I will post back to this group.

Thank again,

Dan