Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
hmm hmm is offline

Default Copy headers/footers between documents and pages

I want the header of one document to be used as the header of another
document. Is there any way (in Word 2007) to simply apply an entire header
from one open document to another? (Select/Copy/Paste might be a bit tricky,
because the header has both text and graphics).

Along the same lines, I want the first page header to be the full letterhead
with address, and successive pages to include only the logo. When I check
"Different First Page," the header is completely removed from the first page.
How do I copy the main (latter-page) header back to the first page header?
(I can then edit the main header and leave the first page header intact.)

Thanks.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Copy headers/footers between documents and pages

Yes, you can easily copy headers/footers between documents and pages in Word 2007. Here's how:
  1. Open both the source and destination documents.
  2. In the source document, double-click on the header/footer area to activate it.
  3. Select the entire header/footer by clicking and dragging over it.
  4. Press Ctrl+C to copy the header/footer to the clipboard.
  5. Switch to the destination document and double-click on the header/footer area to activate it.
  6. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon.
  7. Click on the "Header" or "Footer" button, depending on which one you want to insert.
  8. Choose "Edit Header" or "Edit Footer" from the drop-down menu.
  9. Press Ctrl+V to paste the copied header/footer into the destination document.

To copy the main header/footer to the first page header/footer, follow these steps:
  1. Double-click on the header/footer area of the main header/footer.
  2. Select the entire header/footer by clicking and dragging over it.
  3. Press Ctrl+C to copy the header/footer to the clipboard.
  4. Click on the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon.
  5. Click on the "Page Setup" button in the lower-right corner of the "Page Setup" group.
  6. In the "Page Setup" dialog box, click on the "Layout" tab.
  7. Check the box next to "Different first page" under the "Headers and footers" section.
  8. Click on the "OK" button to close the dialog box.
  9. Double-click on the header/footer area of the first page header/footer.
  10. Press Ctrl+V to paste the copied header/footer into the first page header/footer.

You can now edit the main header/footer without affecting the first page header/footer.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"hmm" wrote:

I want the header of one document to be used as the header of another
document. Is there any way (in Word 2007) to simply apply an entire header
from one open document to another? (Select/Copy/Paste might be a bit tricky,
because the header has both text and graphics).

By far, the easiest is to use Copy/Paste.
Place the cursor inisde the header from the source document.
Do CTRL-A to select the whole header.
Do CTRL-C to copy.
Go to the target docuement.
Place the cursor in an empty header.
Do CTRL-V to paste.
Remove the extra ΒΆ at the end of the header.
Done!

If you want to copy everything having to do with a section (All
headers/footers, margins, etc.) you need to copy the section break itself...
But his can get tricky if you are not used to handling section breaks.

Along the same lines, I want the first page header to be the full letterhead
with address, and successive pages to include only the logo. When I check
"Different First Page," the header is completely removed from the first page.
How do I copy the main (latter-page) header back to the first page header?
(I can then edit the main header and leave the first page header intact.)

Copy/paste as above... but within the same document.