Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sha sha is offline

Default Inserted file loses formatting

Hi

i am using Word 2003.

I have a letterhead word document that I am trying to add a file to. When I
insert the file, the file shows significant formatting changes.

The first page of the letterhead has a Section Break (next page). I place
the cursor on the second page and insert file.

The header and footer change font size (not such a big deal), but the
numbered headings are lost. That is the numbers disappear. For example, it
would normally read something like the following:

2 Office Computers
2.1 Monitors
2.1.1 etc

but after I insert the file, the numbers disappear.

Could it be possible that the styles in the original document are different
to the styles set in the inserted document?

if this is the case, I would prefer the styles for the inserted document to
remain, but these styles might be different for any document I insert. is
there any way around this?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

When you insert document A into document B, the styles of document B will be
used. To make use of the formatting of document A, insert document B into A
instead.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sha" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sha sha is offline

Hi

Ok, that sounds reasonable. I tried inserting document B into document A
instead, however when I inserted document B the footer was not there. The
footer is our logo and address details so it's the reason why I'm trying to
insert the file.

Ah, got it, page set up, header footer - different first page

Thanks

"Sha" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Yes, what happens to headers and footers when copying text from one document
to another (or when using the Insert File dialog box) is a bit confusing in
Word. For a complete discussion, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

--
Stefan Blom