Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cborg cborg is offline

Default Word 2003 - Saving Files

When I open an old document to use as a template to type a new letter and
click, File, Save by mistake instead of File, Save As, it doesn't prompt me
anymore if I want to overwrite. How do I fix that?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Nothing to fix. File Save never prompts to overwrite. But if you do
File Save As and choose an existing filename, then you do get a prompt
to overwrite.

cborg wrote:
When I open an old document to use as a template to type a new letter and
click, File, Save by mistake instead of File, Save As, it doesn't prompt me
anymore if I want to overwrite. How do I fix that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I guess I should clarify that if you open an existing document and click
on File Save, then you do not get a prompt to overwrite. If you start a
new document, click on File Save, and choose an existing filename, then

cborg wrote:

When I open an old document to use as a template to type a new letter
and click, File, Save by mistake instead of File, Save As, it doesn't
prompt me anymore if I want to overwrite. How do I fix that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add... it sounds like the user isn't really using the old document as a
template, a la Word. It can be done, and when done correctly, it does prompt
on Save. But, for Word to know that you intend the document as a template,
it has to know that you're using it as a template, rather than opening it
for editing. To do this, choose File - New - From Existing Document,
navigate to the document you want to use and select it, then click Create
New.

This opens a new Document # window using the document you chose as a
starting point. When you choose File - Save, Word will prompt you for a
name.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...
I guess I should clarify that if you open an existing document and click on
File Save, then you do not get a prompt to overwrite. If you start a new
document, click on File Save, and choose an existing filename, then you do
get a prompt to overwrite.

cborg wrote:

When I open an old document to use as a template to type a new letter
and click, File, Save by mistake instead of File, Save As, it doesn't
prompt me anymore if I want to overwrite. How do I fix that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It would help Word to know that it was to be used as a template if it was
actually saved as one

Herb Tyson [MVP] wrote:
To add... it sounds like the user isn't really using the old
document as a template, a la Word. It can be done, and when done
correctly, it does prompt on Save. But, for Word to know that you
intend the document as a template, it has to know that you're using
it as a template, rather than opening it for editing. To do this,
choose File - New - From Existing Document, navigate to the document
you want to use and select it, then click Create New.

This opens a new Document # window using the document you chose as a
starting point. When you choose File - Save, Word will prompt you for
a name.

cborg wrote:

When I open an old document to use as a template to type a new
letter and click, File, Save by mistake instead of File, Save As,
it doesn't prompt me anymore if I want to overwrite. How do I fix
that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

True. But, it doesn't have to be a template to be used as one. Word 2003
lets you use ANY document as a template, regardless of whether it's dot,
dotx, dotm, doc, docx, etc. By clicking on New/From Existing Document,
you're guaranteeing that Word will treat it as a template, rather than
opening the actual file for editing. This lets you "repurpose" documents as
ad hoc templates, and I gather that the "From existing document" option was
created precisely to avoid the difficulty in which the user finds hirself.

--

cborg wrote:

When I open an old document to use as a template to type a new
letter and click, File, Save by mistake instead of File, Save As,
it doesn't prompt me anymore if I want to overwrite. How do I fix
that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I was aware of that - but saving the document as a template is a simpler
option for the uninitiated.