Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BAW

Default Is there any way to import data into an existing template?

We have a template that is slightly modified each year and then sent out to
several individuals to update/ confirm. The data from the template is
maintained in access (we export the data into a txt file and then inport it
into access). Is there any way for us to import the prior year data into a
modified template and then send it out for the updates/ confirmation. If I
try to do this in a word merge, the template loses it template form (and then
I cannot save the data as a txt file). If I protect the document, I can't
perform the word merge. It seems as if a few years ago, I was able to export
the data from access into a template, but still keep the template form. Last
year, I had to individually update each user's template with the new/ updated
questions and then send those out for review (for about 30 users)

any ideas that would make this process easier?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QkFX?=,

I'm not completely sure I understand, but I think I do...

Word's form fields and mail merge aren't "compatible". At a high level, I'd say
you'd need a macro (VBA) solution to pass the database info directly into the
form fields. If you can't remember having done that before, then it's possible
you used the technique outlined in this article?

WD2000: Text Form Fields Are Not Retained During Mail Merge
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=211308

We have a template that is slightly modified each year and then sent out to
several individuals to update/ confirm. The data from the template is
maintained in access (we export the data into a txt file and then inport it
into access). Is there any way for us to import the prior year data into a
modified template and then send it out for the updates/ confirmation. If I
try to do this in a word merge, the template loses it template form (and then
I cannot save the data as a txt file). If I protect the document, I can't
perform the word merge. It seems as if a few years ago, I was able to export
the data from access into a template, but still keep the template form. Last
year, I had to individually update each user's template with the new/ updated
questions and then send those out for review (for about 30 users)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BAW

I think that you did understand what I was trying to say. I am definitely
not technical when it comes to Microsoft applications. I did not use macros
or the VB editor, so I am not sure how I was able to "import" the data from
access into my word template in the past (maybe it was all in my head). I
may have to stick with updating the individual templates so I can export the
data.

thanks for trying to help!

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Applying a new template to an existing document Peter Longstaff Page Layout 2 December 20th 05 09:32 AM
batch remove template data from old word documents OI66 Microsoft Word Help 0 November 10th 05 06:58 PM
Form to input data to my document template meyertim Microsoft Word Help 1 August 26th 05 08:04 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
multiple docs, one data source kp Mailmerge 12 January 31st 05 05:41 PM