Wordy Jim

Default Auto add the file name

Can Word automatically insert the file name onto a Document? Maybe as a
footnote or small font at the bottom of the last page. Ideally it would be
something added when the document is saved. We often have a hard copy, but
cannot find the saved version without doing a SEARCH. At times we need to do
this with 10's or 100's of documents, so using the SEARCH gets tiring. An
automatic insert would make it easy for everyone to do. Thanks.
Jay Freedman

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:52:01 -0700, Wordy Jim Wordy
wrote:

Can Word automatically insert the file name onto a Document? Maybe as a
footnote or small font at the bottom of the last page. Ideally it would be
something added when the document is saved. We often have a hard copy, but
cannot find the saved version without doing a SEARCH. At times we need to do
this with 10's or 100's of documents, so using the SEARCH gets tiring. An
automatic insert would make it easy for everyone to do. Thanks.

Hi Jim,

If you want it in the body of the text, use the menu sequence Insert
AutoText Header/Footer Filename (or, if you want to include the
path to the folder that contains the document, choose "Filename and
path" instead). A shortcut for this is to type the word Filename and
then press F3.

If you want it in the footer (View Header and Footer, then click the
Switch Between Header and Footer button on the Header/Footer toolbar),
where it will appear on every page, you can do the same thing more
easily by clicking the Insert AutoText button at the left end of that
toolbar and selecting Filename (or Filename and path).

To make it more automatic, you'll have to make a template that you use
as the basis for documents, and put the filename AutoText in the
footer of the template. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...platePart1.htm
and
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm
for information.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Joe McGuire

Note that when you use autotext, including in a template, it will not
actually show the path or file name until the document has been saved. (If
you are dealing with such a large quantities of documents it sounds like you
might be better off with software that is for managing large volumes of
documents. As a practical matter, the Autotext method allows you to locate
an electronic document only if you are already looking at a paper version.)