Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Impecunious Impecunious is offline

Default Calculation form field won't update

Hi,

I've got a calculation form field in Word that uses the formula
'=bok_benefit/bok_cost-1', where bok_benefit and bok_cost are two other
bookmarked text form fields. I've set both of these supporting fields
to "Calculate on exit", but for whatever reason, my calculation field
refuses to update when either of these fields are modified. I can F9
the field and it'll update, but because this document is going to be
used as a form, I obviously don't users to have to resort to this.

I'm trying to wrap up this form ASAP, and this problem is driving me
nuts. I'd definitely appreciate anyone's advice!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Impecunious,

Did you protect the document for forms? "Calculate on exit" won't work if
you don't.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Impecunious" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I've got a calculation form field in Word that uses the formula
'=bok_benefit/bok_cost-1', where bok_benefit and bok_cost are two other
bookmarked text form fields. I've set both of these supporting fields
to "Calculate on exit", but for whatever reason, my calculation field
refuses to update when either of these fields are modified. I can F9
the field and it'll update, but because this document is going to be
used as a form, I obviously don't users to have to resort to this.

I'm trying to wrap up this form ASAP, and this problem is driving me
nuts. I'd definitely appreciate anyone's advice!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You don't really need a form field for the calculation - use a Word formula
field instead
{={REF Bok_Benefit}/{REF Bok_Cost-1}}
Calculate on exit will force an update on such a field (unless it is in a
header/footer, when you need a macro run on exit from the field to update
it - eg the sample code at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Impecunious wrote:
Hi,

I've got a calculation form field in Word that uses the formula
'=bok_benefit/bok_cost-1', where bok_benefit and bok_cost are two
other bookmarked text form fields. I've set both of these supporting
fields to "Calculate on exit", but for whatever reason, my
calculation field refuses to update when either of these fields are
modified. I can F9 the field and it'll update, but because this
document is going to be used as a form, I obviously don't users to
have to resort to this.

I'm trying to wrap up this form ASAP, and this problem is driving me
nuts. I'd definitely appreciate anyone's advice!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Graham,

It'd probably work better as:
{={REF Bok_Benefit}/{REF Bok_Cost}-1}
or:
{={Bok_Benefit}/{Bok_Cost}-1}
or even:
{=Bok_Benefit/Bok_Cost-1}

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

Impecunious wrote:
Hi,

I've got a calculation form field in Word that uses the formula
'=bok_benefit/bok_cost-1', where bok_benefit and bok_cost are two
other bookmarked text form fields. I've set both of these supporting
fields to "Calculate on exit", but for whatever reason, my
calculation field refuses to update when either of these fields are
modified. I can F9 the field and it'll update, but because this
document is going to be used as a form, I obviously don't users to
have to resort to this.

I'm trying to wrap up this form ASAP, and this problem is driving me
nuts. I'd definitely appreciate anyone's advice!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I had assumed the '-' to be part of the bookmark name

macropod wrote:
Hi Graham,

It'd probably work better as:

Impecunious wrote:
Hi,

I've got a calculation form field in Word that uses the formula
'=bok_benefit/bok_cost-1', where bok_benefit and bok_cost are two
other bookmarked text form fields. I've set both of these
supporting fields to "Calculate on exit", but for whatever reason,
my calculation field refuses to update when either of these fields
are modified. I can F9 the field and it'll update, but because this
document is going to be used as a form, I obviously don't users to
have to resort to this.

I'm trying to wrap up this form ASAP, and this problem is driving me
nuts. I'd definitely appreciate anyone's advice!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Impecunious Impecunious is offline

Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, I get the same result (no automatic update) even after
trying a formula reference. My form's in protect mode, and what's
worse, I can create a separate "quick and dirty" document with these
three fields and the text form field calculation fires fine.

Now what? Thanks again.

Graham Mayor wrote:
I had assumed the '-' to be part of the bookmark name

macropod wrote:
Hi Graham,

It'd probably work better as:

Impecunious wrote:
Hi,

I've got a calculation form field in Word that uses the formula
'=bok_benefit/bok_cost-1', where bok_benefit and bok_cost are two
other bookmarked text form fields. I've set both of these
supporting fields to "Calculate on exit", but for whatever reason,
my calculation field refuses to update when either of these fields
are modified. I can F9 the field and it'll update, but because this
document is going to be used as a form, I obviously don't users to
have to resort to this.

I'm trying to wrap up this form ASAP, and this problem is driving me
nuts. I'd definitely appreciate anyone's advice!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Impecunious Impecunious is offline

Guys,

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm getting the
same problem with this reference approach as well - the answer won't
update once either one of the supporting fields are modified. By the
way, I've tested this with the form in protected mode.

Now what?

Thanks.

Graham Mayor wrote:
I had assumed the '-' to be part of the bookmark name

macropod wrote:
Hi Graham,

It'd probably work better as:

Impecunious wrote:
Hi,

I've got a calculation form field in Word that uses the formula
'=bok_benefit/bok_cost-1', where bok_benefit and bok_cost are two
other bookmarked text form fields. I've set both of these
supporting fields to "Calculate on exit", but for whatever reason,
my calculation field refuses to update when either of these fields
are modified. I can F9 the field and it'll update, but because this
document is going to be used as a form, I obviously don't users to
have to resort to this.

I'm trying to wrap up this form ASAP, and this problem is driving me
nuts. I'd definitely appreciate anyone's advice!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Try the update macro on exit from the second of the fields -

Graham Mayor wrote:
I had assumed the '-' to be part of the bookmark name

macropod wrote:
Hi Graham,

It'd probably work better as:

Impecunious wrote:
Hi,

I've got a calculation form field in Word that uses the formula
'=bok_benefit/bok_cost-1', where bok_benefit and bok_cost are two
other bookmarked text form fields. I've set both of these
supporting fields to "Calculate on exit", but for whatever reason,
my calculation field refuses to update when either of these fields
are modified. I can F9 the field and it'll update, but because
this document is going to be used as a form, I obviously don't
users to have to resort to this.

I'm trying to wrap up this form ASAP, and this problem is driving
me nuts. I'd definitely appreciate anyone's advice!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Impecunious Impecunious is offline

Interesting... it turns out that my table of contents seems to be the
culprit. If I delete it, the calculation fires away.

Now I'm really irritated. This seems like a pretty significant bug.

Thanks to all for your help.

Graham Mayor wrote:
I had assumed the '-' to be part of the bookmark name

macropod wrote:
Hi Graham,

It'd probably work better as: