termiflyer

Default Auto-insert numbering when caption style applied

When I define my own caption style with an outline numbered list, I can't
insert a reference in the numbered list to a heading: I want "Figure 1-2.",
where the "1" refers to the current Heading 1. I can only get "Figure 2." I
like to do it this way because I can just type my caption, then apply my
caption style, and it will add the "Figure 2." automatically. Also, I can't
use the built in "Caption" style, because I want to do the same thing with
tables.

I can get the "1" by inserting a caption (InsertCaption), but then my style
doesn't "keep" the label associated with it. For instance, if I apply my
caption style, it will just change the style, it won't insert the auto text
and numbering.

This seems like a common thing one would want to do. Can you help?

Thanks!

Using Insert | Caption, you can insert captions for figures or tables (just
choose which one you want in a given instance). If you want the Heading 1
numbering included, click on Numbering..., check "Include chapter number,"
and select Heading 1.

"termiflyer" wrote in message
[...]

termiflyer

I understand that you can do that. The problem is that users should be using
styles to specify captions such that they are consistent throughout the
documents. By doing it using Insert | Caption ... Numbered ... Include
chapter number ... Heading 1, you are relying on that being done every time a
caption is needed.

I want to do the following:
User types: PC Architecture
User applies "my figure caption" style to that
Result: Figure 2-3. PC Architecture

Now, if I decide to change how figure captions look, I can go back and
modify the "my figure caption" style. Maybe I decide I want to use the
following instead:

Figure 36. PC Architecture

If I have this in the style itself, than I just change the style. If I use
Insert | Caption, I have to go and modify each and every caption.
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

By default, captions use the Caption style, which can easily be modified. If
you want different styles for figure captions and table titles, then a
different style can be applied to one type or the other after the caption is
inserted; this will not affect the numbering, which is generated by a SEQ
field, nor the ability of users to cross-reference captions using Word's
built-in bookmarks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Using Insert | Caption, you can insert captions for figures or tables

(just
choose which one you want in a given instance). If you want the Heading

1
numbering included, click on Numbering..., check "Include chapter

number,"
and select Heading 1.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

termiflyer

I'm close. My figure caption style is called "Caption Figure". I set it's
outline level to 2, and associated an outlined number list to it. Level 2 of
the outline includes level 1 number. The style is linked to Caption Figure
and restarts at level 1. So, I get this:

Heading 1: XXXXXX
Caption Figu Figure 1-1. XXXXX
Caption Figu Figure 1-2. XXXXX
Heading 1: YYYYYYY
Caption Figu Figure 1-3. XXXXX
Caption Figu Figure 1-4. XXXXX

Now, when I add a dummy style paragraph after the second Heading 1 with the
same numbering list as Caption Figure, but with outline level 1, this causes
it to restart, so I get:

Heading 1: XXXXXX
Caption Figu Figure 1-1. XXXXX
Caption Figu Figure 1-2. XXXXX
Heading 1: YYYYYYY
Caption Figu Figure 2-1. XXXXX
Caption Figu Figure 2-2. XXXXX

Which is exactly what I want. Now, how do I get the restart to happen
without adding this dummy paragraph? Basically, how do I get the figure
numbering list to restart based on the existence of an intervening Heading 1?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

For this to happen, Heading 1 and the caption style would have to be part of
the same outline-numbered list (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html). Needless
to say, though, this would happen automatically if you used Word's built-in
caption feature. You are reinventing the wheel here.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

termiflyer

Here's how I did it:

(1) Create/customize your Heading 1 ... Heading 9 styles. Assume you are
going to use Heading 8 and Heading 9 styles for Figure and Caption Styles.
(2) Create you new Figure/Table style: I called mine €śCaption Figure€ť and
€śCapture Table€ť. I based them on €śHeading Text€ť (a style I keep at the head
of my Heading hierarchy to control the Heading font) and have them centered,
bold. Dont do anything with numbering. When you format the paragraph (to
get center formatting), change the outline level to level 8 (or 9, depending
on which one youre using for Table or Figure).
(3) Go to and modify the Heading 1 style (this is just a way to access the
List that Heading 1 is using)
(4) Modify ... Numbering ... and choose customize.
(5) Go to Level 8, and delete everything in the number format box except the
first €ś1€ť ... this is the level 1 number which we want to keep (€śTable X.Y€ť)
€“ the €śX€ť.
(6) Put the cursor after the €ś1€ť and insert a dash, then in the number
format box, select None, and then select, 1, 2, 3 ... The €śY€ť should show up
(it will be a 1).
(7) Go to the beginning of the number format box, and type €śFigure €ś or
€śTitle €ś.
(8) Go to the €śLink level to Style€ť box, and select your custom style
(€śCaption Figure€ť or €śCaption Table€ť).
(9) In the restart numbering box, select €śLevel 1€ť.
(10) Repeat for the other guy (table or figure, but use the other level,
level 9).
(11) DONE!!