Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement, microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SCT Technology SCT Technology is offline

Default Using user defined fields for document revisions

I am wanting to create a user defined "Field" using MS Word 2003 so I
can track my own versioning of a document (ie., MYREV). I'm guessing
that fields can be used similiar to user defined variables, so when I
change from revision 0.3 to 1.0, all MYREV fields would update
accordingly (main cover page, headers, footers, etc).

Is there a way to do this? Are fields the right functionality to do
this? If someone could explain I would greatly appreciate it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:56:00 -0800 (PST), SCT Technology
wrote:

I am wanting to create a user defined "Field" using MS Word 2003 so I
can track my own versioning of a document (ie., MYREV). I'm guessing
that fields can be used similiar to user defined variables, so when I
change from revision 0.3 to 1.0, all MYREV fields would update
accordingly (main cover page, headers, footers, etc).

Is there a way to do this? Are fields the right functionality to do
this? If someone could explain I would greatly appreciate it.

In File Properties Custom, define a custom property.

In the document, wherever you want to display the value, insert a DocProperty
field containing the name of the custom property.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

I am wanting to create a user defined "Field" using MS Word 2003 so I
can track my own versioning of a document (ie., MYREV). I'm guessing
that fields can be used similiar to user defined variables, so when I
change from revision 0.3 to 1.0, all MYREV fields would update
accordingly (main cover page, headers, footers, etc).

Is there a way to do this? Are fields the right functionality to do
this? If someone could explain I would greatly appreciate it.

In File Properties Custom, define a custom property.

In the document, wherever you want to display the value, insert a DocProperty
field containing the name of the custom property.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

Thanks for the info Jay. This really helps quite a bit. I did a test
on modifying the value & updating all the fields where the custom
property occurs. (I selected Ctrl+A (select all) then F9). However,
the header which contains the field doesn't update. I physically have
to select the text in the header then select F9 to update. Is there a
way to have all fields update automatically. Do I always have to
manually refresh the field? I updated the field value (under Custom
properties), saved the document, exited, relaunched the document and
the field value did not update. Is there an auto update? Thanks again
for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

wrote:

I am wanting to create a user defined "Field" using MS Word 2003 so
I can track my own versioning of a document (ie., MYREV). I'm
guessing that fields can be used similiar to user defined
variables, so when I change from revision 0.3 to 1.0, all MYREV
fields would update accordingly (main cover page, headers, footers,
etc).

Is there a way to do this? Are fields the right functionality to do
this? If someone could explain I would greatly appreciate it.

In File Properties Custom, define a custom property.

In the document, wherever you want to display the value, insert a
DocProperty
field containing the name of the custom property.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Thanks for the info Jay. This really helps quite a bit. I did a test
on modifying the value & updating all the fields where the custom
property occurs. (I selected Ctrl+A (select all) then F9). However,
the header which contains the field doesn't update. I physically have
to select the text in the header then select F9 to update. Is there a
way to have all fields update automatically. Do I always have to
manually refresh the field? I updated the field value (under Custom
properties), saved the document, exited, relaunched the document and
the field value did not update. Is there an auto update? Thanks again
for your help!

Visit MVP Greg Maxey's page at http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Field_Macros.htm
and get the myUpdateFields macro (about halfway down the page, item 1 under
"Updating"). See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm for installation
instructions if needed.

You can assign the macro to a toolbar button or keyboard shortcut
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...oToToolbar.htm or
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...oToHotkey.htm).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

[...]

all may benefit.- Hide quoted text -

The macro didn't run when I hit F9 (as the website stated). However,
running the macro works great! I need to look into VBA and its power
of automation in the Office products. If you know why F9 isn't working
in the myUpdateFields subroutine, I would be interested to know.
Thanks again