Ian Sorensen

Default MSI must be launched through setup

I have just re-installed Office 2003 Professional Edition and when I open
Word2003, The Windows Installer wants to install something and then a box
pops up with the message of "This MSI must be launched through setup". I
click the ok box 3 times and then Word opens. Any ideas on what is trying to
be installed and how do I stop this message from appearing.
Many thanks,
Ian Sorensen

Ian Sorensen

If anybody is interested, I have fixed this MSI error on my system.
I am running XP Pro SP2, MS Office 2003 Pro Edition and Nortons SystemWorks
2005.
The following was done to fix this problem:
Insert your CD version of MS Office
Click on the Help file and in the drop down list, click detect and repair
and let the CD do its thing and repair the Office installation
In the Office setup files, double click on the folder PRO11N and follow the
instructions (this is for Office 2003 - not sure what the file is for other
Office versions)
Uninstall what ever version of Nortons (Internet Security, SystemWorks, NAV)
you have installed and then reinstall
I have done all of the above for my system and the problem no longer appears.
It would appear that an msi.file is missing from the Office installation.
Don't forget to update your version of Nortons after being reinstalled.
Sincerely,
Ian Sorensen
Techie from Australia

"Ian Sorensen" wrote:

I have just re-installed Office 2003 Professional Edition and when I open
Word2003, The Windows Installer wants to install something and then a box
pops up with the message of "This MSI must be launched through setup". I
click the ok box 3 times and then Word opens. Any ideas on what is trying to
be installed and how do I stop this message from appearing.
Many thanks,
Ian Sorensen

convertor00

Cool solution,

I suspect that this problem could be because of
2 versions of MSI's installed on your machine.

Balaji R