Eric Linkugel

Default How do you add attachments in Word for mail merge emails?

I am trying to use Word to send emails as a mail merge, and using contacts
from an Excel file. I am not quite sure how to send any document as an
attachment as you would in Outlook. For example, if I want to add a PDF file
as an attachment to the email, how do you do this in the word mail merge
setting?
Graham Mayor

Eric Linkugel wrote:
I am trying to use Word to send emails as a mail merge, and using
contacts from an Excel file. I am not quite sure how to send any
document as an attachment as you would in Outlook. For example, if I
want to add a PDF file as an attachment to the email, how do you do
this in the word mail merge setting?

See the article prepared by fellow MVP Doug Robbins at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm

Eric Linkugel

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I experienced the same error message that
another user did when running the listed macro. It doesn't follow through. I
created the catalogue, and followed the directions, but the macro seems to
cause a runtime error every time. The instructions might need a little
clarifying. I may be running the macro from the wrong program, but I tried
running it from both the Outlook macro command and the Word macro command.
Both gave me errors. Are there some steps missing from the instructions to
make it more clear? Have you been able to get this to work? Thanks,
-Eric

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Eric Linkugel wrote:
I am trying to use Word to send emails as a mail merge, and using
contacts from an Excel file. I am not quite sure how to send any
document as an attachment as you would in Outlook. For example, if I
want to add a PDF file as an attachment to the email, how do you do
this in the word mail merge setting?

See the article prepared by fellow MVP Doug Robbins at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm

Eric Linkugel

The error says: "Compile error: user-defined type not defined"
The section of code that is highlighted is

"Dim oOutlookApp as Outlook.Application"

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Eric Linkugel wrote:
I am trying to use Word to send emails as a mail merge, and using
contacts from an Excel file. I am not quite sure how to send any
document as an attachment as you would in Outlook. For example, if I
want to add a PDF file as an attachment to the email, how do you do
this in the word mail merge setting?

See the article prepared by fellow MVP Doug Robbins at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm

Graham Mayor

You appear to have omitted the 'Preparations'

"To run the macro in this procedure it is necessary to set a reference to
the Microsoft Office Outlook Object Library. You do this from within the
Visual Basic Editor, by selecting References from the Tool menu and then
checking the item Microsoft Office Outlook ##.0 Object Library (where ## is
the Outlook version number)."

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Eric Linkugel wrote:
I am trying to use Word to send emails as a mail merge, and using
contacts from an Excel file. I am not quite sure how to send any
document as an attachment as you would in Outlook. For example,
if I want to add a PDF file as an attachment to the email, how do
you do this in the word mail merge setting?

See the article prepared by fellow MVP Doug Robbins at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm

Graham Mayor

Doug is away at the moment, but I have cross posted this message to his
private e-mail address. If he is able to receive mail at present he will not
doubt get back to you. If you mail me via my web site link, I will post a
GIF of the references I have checked here in case there is some conflict.
The macro works fine for me.