Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Default Turn off Automatic numbering

After having gotten document where I wanted it last night, I turned on the
machine today and all my article numbering is gone as well as the heading
under that. How do I tell word to convert all my heading from automatic to
text? I don't use more than 2 headings because word is insufficient and can't
handle that complexity. If Microhard were a small startup, they would not
ignore their customers forced to mess with the insufficient product. There
will be someone else who will fix this, but unfortunately they'll speak
Chinese.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ronald Nissley Ronald Nissley is offline

After having gotten document where I wanted it last night, I turned on the
machine today and all my article numbering is gone as well as the heading
under that. How do I tell word to convert all my heading from automatic to
text? I don't use more than 2 headings because word is insufficient and can't
handle that complexity.

When requesting help, please include the version of product you are working
with (e.g. 97, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007).

When you say heading, are you talking about a header? Word 2003, for
example, inserts page numbers in either the header or footer when you use
Insert Page Numbers. In Word 2003, header/footer information only appears
when using the Print layout view (View Print Layout)!

Hope that's helpful,

Ron
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank H[_2_] Frank H[_2_] is offline

bretsharon,
You really do need to mention what version you are using: can't really help
otherwise. I'll assume Word 2003. Using Word's actual feature names
accurately is also helpful if you want people to understand your question.

It is frustrating when the way you think it should work is not the way it
actually does work.

Word will not convert from automatic numbering to text.
You CAN turn off all automatic formatting: Tools-AutoCorrect Options. Just
uncheck everything you don't want.

If you can set up your Styles, Word really works slick, and will do your
numbering for you. Most people don't have the patience (or time) to get the
styles set up the way they need them.

Have you ever tried using the Outline numbering feature? Format - Bullets
and Numbering - Outline numbering tab.

You can use this with Style or without.

I hope your time frame gives you the opportunity to get it re-worked!
--
Frank H
Rockford, IL

"bretsharon" wrote:

After having gotten document where I wanted it last night, I turned on the
machine today and all my article numbering is gone as well as the heading
under that. How do I tell word to convert all my heading from automatic to
text? I don't use more than 2 headings because word is insufficient and can't
handle that complexity. If Microhard were a small startup, they would not
ignore their customers forced to mess with the insufficient product. There
will be someone else who will fix this, but unfortunately they'll speak
Chinese.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Which version of Word is this?

How did you create the numbering?

If you are referring to style-based numbering, the first thing to look at is
"Automatically update document styles" in the Templates and Add-Ins dialog
box. If the option is selected, clear it. Then recreate the numbering to suit
your needs. For Word 2003, full instructions are available at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"bretsharon" wrote:

After having gotten document where I wanted it last night, I turned on the
machine today and all my article numbering is gone as well as the heading
under that. How do I tell word to convert all my heading from automatic to
text? I don't use more than 2 headings because word is insufficient and can't
handle that complexity. If Microhard were a small startup, they would not
ignore their customers forced to mess with the insufficient product. There
will be someone else who will fix this, but unfortunately they'll speak
Chinese.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Thank you. The version is word 2007.

The document is now destroyed. I was able to take the correct document and
copy it into an earlier version, and it worked. But then I made the mistake
of saving and closing it. When I opened it again, the Section Heading, as
in"Article" was gone. I was able to move it into an earlier version of the
document, but then the second section, usuall 1.1, doesn't follow anymore.

I had the style set up and saved, but it doesn't seem to accept it when I
call it up from quick style. I don't know how it was done, because I
continue to fight Word on everything.

I've read your citations and in a very simple respect it can work. But if
you get anyuthing sophisticated, Word will not work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

In 2007, where do you find tools?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

I was able to get the first level corrected. But the second level doesn't
follow the first level. For example, Article 2 has following it and below in
the same section 1.6, 1.7 etc, rather than 2.1 2.2 etc. What is the next
step to fix this? The headings etc are on the style bar on the ribbon and I
had it saved to Quick style. I did go thru the mult list and it worked
prior, but now it doesn't.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

In comparing the reveal format of the ruined document to an earlier version,
I noted in the "Bullets and Numbering" section that the list on the ruined
document says the following:

List Style: (which is blue and underlined)
Style 1

While on the good document does not have the "List Style:" at all but just
List and the two are the same from there on.

Does this have anything to do with it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Why when I restart the third multi level, to start at A, the third
multilevels before it in the document disappear?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

I tried this and nothing changed. Can you get me to where my second level
digits follows the first level numbering? This once worked. For example:
Article 1
1.1
1.2

Article 2
1.3
1.4

Should be
Article 1
1.1
1.2

Article 2
2.1
2.3

the third level numbering just disappeared along with the caption associated
with it so. Word can't be given to a secretary to type. this is very
unhelpful.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Have you set this up following the guidelines at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...umbering.html?

http://word.mvps.org

"bretsharon" wrote in message
I tried this and nothing changed. Can you get me to where my second level
digits follows the first level numbering? This once worked. For example:
Article 1
1.1
1.2

Article 2
1.3
1.4

Should be
Article 1
1.1
1.2

Article 2
2.1
2.3

the third level numbering just disappeared along with the caption
associated
with it so. Word can't be given to a secretary to type. this is very
unhelpful.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Frank H[_2_] Frank H[_2_] is offline

Word's numbering can be finicky.
Once you've got a document hosed up, it can be almost impossible to
straighten it out. It sounds like yours is there.

Let's assume for a moment that your are starting a blank new document (maybe
you should try this, just to compare, and to see how it is SUPPOSED to work.)

The following describes how to set your Heading styles to do automatic
numbering. Once you see how it works, then you can start to customize the
styles, or customize the numbering.

Background: Styles can be paragraph styles, or character styles, or both (as
indicated by the icon next to the style name in the Styles pane; the
paragraph mark icon is a paragraph style). Stick with paragraph styles for
now.

Turn on the Styles Pane: Home ribbon-Styles Group, there is a little
launcher button on the same bar as the group name Styles. That button will
open a dialog that you can dock on the side of the screen, and KEEP it there.

Type a couple of one word paragraphs to simulate topic titles.
Click into the first paragraph. on the Styles Pane, click Heading 1. YOu
will see the paragraph change it's formatting.

Now apply Outline Numbering: Home tab - Paragraph group, there is a button
that if you hover over it is MultiLevel List. Hit the little arrow to drop
down your choices, and pick the one that shows Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.

Next go back and apply Heading 2 to the second paragraph. You should see it
immediately indent and get numbered subordinate to the heading 1 style.

Try this on several paragraphs with several Heading levels.

By customizing the Styles and the List, I've used this on dozens of
documents very successfully.

Keep in mind:
The styles in the pane have a drop down if you hover over the name. That
drop down makes in MUCH easier to customize the styles. Just take the time to
consider what each choice means.

The button for Multilevel list, when you hit the litttle dropdown arrow on
it, you get a menu of prebuilt choices. (i.e., the gallery, as you do with
most features of 2007.) At the bottom of this menu there is a choice to
customize or build your own. After you get a feel for them, you might try
building one of your own.

Also keep in mind that the heading level styles do NOT have to be for titles
only. YOu can redefine a style to be paragraph text if you wish, at different
indent levels if you define them that way. Or, you can create your own custom
styles, but then you have to customize your Multilevel List to incorporate
your custom styles.

Good luck!
--
Frank H
Rockford, IL

"bretsharon" wrote:

In comparing the reveal format of the ruined document to an earlier version,
I noted in the "Bullets and Numbering" section that the list on the ruined
document says the following:

List Style: (which is blue and underlined)
Style 1

While on the good document does not have the "List Style:" at all but just
List and the two are the same from there on.

Does this have anything to do with it?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Thank you. I will try it out, but I've learned what I needed to know. Every
few years my law firm entertains replacing WordPerfect with Word. I am
disappointed that it is not worth the effort and there is no improvement. I
can't turn the secretary on to word because it is so caprcious. We hope
Microsoft would do something about their product. In trying to close a
contract, and the deal is changing, once again you can count on word to fail.
We will stay away from Word.