Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ariel ariel is offline

Default Word automatically upgraded when Outlook is upgraded?

I'll bet you've never heard this one before.

When I got my new iPAQ (a sleek little HP 1940) it came with a disk that had
Pocket PC 2003 Pro with Outlook 2002. At the time, I had Office 2000 loaded
on my computer and it worked just fine. After I installed the iPAQ and the
software that came with it, I expected that my Outlook would be automatically
upgraded to version 2002 - but what I didn't expect was that my copy of Word
was also going to be automatically upgraded too! I had a totally unexpected
(but welcome) upgrade to Word 2002!

The upgrade made sense since Outlook does use Word as its email editor, so I
just assumed things were fine and went about my business. Unfortunately, I
am not having some trouble with my software and wanted to do a repair of my
installation.

The problem is, I have my Office 2000 disks and my Pocket PC 2003 w/ Outlook
2002 disk, but when I run 'Detect and Repair' on my Word install, it keeps
asking for a Word 2002 disk! I don't have one! I never did! I haven't a
clue where this unexpected upgrade came from in the first place, so I don't
know where to even look for the file it wants.

Has anyone here ever heard of this issue? Is there any place I could find
the file that the detect and repair is asking for without having to shell out
big bucks to upgrade the whole thing? And if I do have to reinstall my
Office 2000, what will that do to my Outlook and the iPAQ? Help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Logic suggests that the required files are on your 'Outlook' disc?
Outlook 2002 data is not backward compatible with Outlook 2000, so if you
reinstall 2000, you are going to have data recognition problems - so export
the data to a common file format first if you are contemplating that step.

Ariel wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ariel ariel is offline

Logic would suggest that, but apparently the guys who set this up, didn't
have much logic. LOL! I've checked all the disks I have. The files in
question are not on any of my drives or disks. The only thing I can figure
is that it came from the internet during the upgrade of outlook. But that
doesn't help me now.

I've run detect and repair on my outlook 2002 with the disk. It hasn't
helped my Word problem, but at least Outlook isn't hanging anymore. I'll
keep looking for a solution.

Ariel