Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon Wheway Simon Wheway is offline

Default Word Encryption

If I password protect a Word document is the document still in plain text
with a password which the application needs to open it, or is it encrpted
using the password as the key.

If encrptyed just how strong is it and how does it differ from Office 2002
(XP) to 2003 please?

Thanks
Simon
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is encrypted and if you use one of the higher levels of encryption
offered and a strong password it will defy casual attempts to open it and
serious attempts will require a lot of processing over a prolonged period.

Simon Wheway wrote:
If I password protect a Word document is the document still in plain
text with a password which the application needs to open it, or is it
encrpted using the password as the key.

If encrptyed just how strong is it and how does it differ from Office
2002 (XP) to 2003 please?

Thanks
Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon Wheway Simon Wheway is offline

Thanks Graham

I'm using Word 2002 (XP) - what is the strongest encrption type and key
length to use that will work OK so the person I send the doc to will be able
to decrpt it?

Also what makes a string password?

Simon

Simon Wheway wrote:
If I password protect a Word document is the document still in plain
text with a password which the application needs to open it, or is it
encrpted using the password as the key.

If encrptyed just how strong is it and how does it differ from Office
2002 (XP) to 2003 please?

Thanks
Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Tools Security Advanced. Use an encryption with a key length of 128,
which is the maximum allowed. The receipient will of course need to know the
password.

Simon Wheway wrote:
If I password protect a Word document is the document still in plain
text with a password which the application needs to open it, or is
it encrpted using the password as the key.

If encrptyed just how strong is it and how does it differ from
Office 2002 (XP) to 2003 please?

Thanks
Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon Wheway Simon Wheway is offline

Thanks but its giving me loads of options in the advanced tab e.g. RSA, DS,
DH - whats the best?

Simon Wheway wrote:
If I password protect a Word document is the document still in plain
text with a password which the application needs to open it, or is
it encrpted using the password as the key.

If encrptyed just how strong is it and how does it differ from
Office 2002 (XP) to 2003 please?

Thanks
Simon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Investigate their characteristics at Google.

Simon Wheway wrote:
If I password protect a Word document is the document still in
plain text with a password which the application needs to open
it, or is it encrpted using the password as the key.

If encrptyed just how strong is it and how does it differ from
Office 2002 (XP) to 2003 please?

Thanks
Simon

Encryption - password Xylophone Microsoft Word Help 2 May 28th 08 03:18 PM
Encryption Kev Microsoft Word Help 2 November 28th 07 06:13 PM
Advanced encryption in Word 2003 lawtech Microsoft Word Help 0 June 4th 07 04:34 PM
Encryption [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 1 December 17th 06 01:13 PM
Office 2000 Word encryption LMK Microsoft Word Help 1 November 3rd 06 01:28 PM