numbering chapter sub headings

Old March 16th 05, 02:55 PM
c_angler

Default numbering chapter sub headings

I am trying to number sub headings in chapters. All chapter titles are
working with Header 1. Now I need each chapter sub heading to be numbered
like this:
for Chapter 1: 1.1,1.2,1.3 for Chapter 2: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3.
I want two digits showing. I have gone to a Header 2 for that, and tried to
modify numbering, even unchecked the box that says restart numbering after,
and all my subheads throughout the multi chapter document are labeled 1.1.
What am I doing wrong?
I have read all the answers I can find in the group session and still can't
fix this thing! The document was written with little or no styles applied,
and I am having to do that now.
Thanks in advance.
Old March 16th 05, 10:26 PM

You must set up your headings as an outline-numbered list, carefully
following the instructions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

Old March 18th 05, 02:51 PM
c_angler

Thank You Suzanne.
I had gone to that website before based on your advice to others, and I must
have been doing something wrong still.
It is working now so far, but 2 more questions.
I adjusted all Levels 1-9, but in at least one chapter, I have more than 8
sub headings. How do I get subheaders after that. For example I need 4.9,
4.10, 4.11, etc.
My second question is: In some chapters the sub headed paragraphs go on for
more than one page, so I put cont. in the title. However, I do not want the
"cont" headers in my TOC. For example section 2.1 is on page 3 pages. I use
the same Header 2 for each of those pages, but on every page after the first,
I just type the word cont. How do I keep all the continued headers out of
the TOC?
Thanks

Old March 18th 05, 04:01 PM

I don't have an answer about the continued headings (which I would omit,
though you might want to look into the use of the StyleRef field for this),
but I think you have a misconception about the numbering. The heading
numbers 4.9, 4.10, and 4.11 should all be the same level: Level 2. Assuming
that the chapter number (Chapter 4 in this case) is Level 1, then Level 2
repeats the chapter number and adds its own numbering, from 1 to as high as
you need to count.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You must set up your headings as an outline-numbered list, carefully
following the instructions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Old March 18th 05, 04:45 PM
c_angler

Suanne:
I would agree that I have a misconception. But, when I try to label each
subheading of a chapter with my Level 2 type heading, then each subheading
gets labeled as Chapter #.1. They all end in .1 because that is how I asked
level 2 to be numbered when I formatted the numbering. And, I followed the
Shelley instructions and formatted the numbering in the Header 1 type only.
Because this happened, I just used Header 3 for subheading 3 in all chapters,
Header 4 for all subheading 4 in all chapters, and it worked.... With the one
flaw: I don't have enough headers to get through the long chapters.
Does this have something to do with checking or not checking the "restart
numbering after" box when formatting the numbers?

Old March 18th 05, 05:31 PM

It sounds as if you must have typed a 1 into the "Number format" box for
Level 2. You need to delete that and select 1, 2, 3 from the "Number style"
box and set the numbering to restart after Level 1.

To clarify: Heading 1 is used for the top-level heading in the document. In
your case this is probably the chapter number. Heading 2 is used for your
Level 2 subheads--all of them. Heading 3 is for #3 heads, Heading 4 for #4
heads, and so on--with the proviso that there shouldn't be any "and so on."
Any document that uses more than four levels of subheads will be unreadable
(and this *does* apply to bureaucratic and legalistic mumbo-jumbo).

Old March 18th 05, 07:33 PM
c_angler

Suzanne:
Thank you so much for your help. It is working!!
I did type a number in the "number format" box in an effort to "force" the
numbering to look the way I wanted it to. I have used Word for years now, but
have never had to format entire manuals AFTER they have been written. Still
I should know better than to think I can force Word to do anything.

I would like to create a template or macro (not sure which), so that our
manuals will be formatted as our writers write them, but I would design how
the layout would look. For instance, I want them to be able to hit a button
in the toolbar for every time they start a chapter heading, and hit a button
in the toolbar every time they need to type a subheading.
Where can I go for more information on that?

Old March 18th 05, 07:47 PM
Charles Kenyon

See http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm. It
has a template for a manual that you can download and use as a starter. See
the Shauna Kelly page I referred you to earlier for setting up your outline
numbering. Teach your people writing to apply styles to get their numbering
(as well as to do other formatting).
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Old March 18th 05, 10:34 PM

Assuming the headings use specific numbered styles (as they should), then a
toolbar or menu containing these styles would make it easy for them. You can
easily assign styles to a toolbar or menu using Tools | Customize, and if
you want buttons, you could label them with a big 1, 2, 3. There are also
built-in keyboard shortcuts for Headings 1-3.

Old March 21st 05, 10:44 AM
Stefan Blom

The following article describes how to set up outline
numbering/numbered headings in Word: