Document Creation Date

Old October 28th 05, 08:08 PM
Thomas M

Default Document Creation Date

Word 2000

We have some documents that contain date fields. Unfortunately, these
fields simply pull in the current date, which is fine for a shell document.
However, once the shell document has been used to create a new document, we
want that date field to hold it's value, and not update every time the
document is opened.

My first thought was to use a field that pulls in the document creation
date. But I have a question about that approach. Would the field show the
date that the shell document was created, or the date that the new document
was created from the shell document? In other words, if I create a shell
document today, and then a year from now I use that shell to create a new
document, would the date field show today's date (the day I created the
shell), or the date of a year from now (the day that I created the new
document using the shell)?

Also, what is the best date field to use for this type of situation?

Currently, we are using Word 2000, but in the next couple of months we will
be updating to Word 2003, so replies regarding Word 2003 specifically will
also be welcomed.

--Tom

Old October 28th 05, 08:25 PM
Anne Troy

In a document created from a template (DOT) file, Create Date will pull the
date you create the document from the template file.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

Old October 28th 05, 09:39 PM
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

The field that you need to use is the CREATEDATE field.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Old October 29th 05, 04:02 AM
Charles Kenyon

Change the word (and concept) of "shell document" to "template" and see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm for what this means.

Change the date field in your template to a CreateDate field. When a new
document is created based on your template, the date will be updated to that
creation date and then remain fixed in that new document.

See http://addbalance.com/word/datefields1.htm for information on the
different kinds of datefields and how to format them.

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.