Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
spnz spnz is offline

Default Numbering with 2007

Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help.

I am having problems with the the function where word auto numbers each time
I start a new paragraph.

If I add a heading and press ENTER, I then pressing the button to contuie
numbering but it stays on number 1. Is there a macro or some setting that I
can change to make it automatically carry on with the previous number?

Any tips would be really helpful!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

How are you setting your numbering? Are you using the Numbering button
on the Home tab?

If so, then are you saying that you after you turn on numbering for
the paragraph, you press Enter once, and the next line does not
automatically number?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Office 2007 Preview Site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx
Office 2007 Community Articles/Tutorials:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...e_archive.mspx

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"spnz" wrote in message
Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help.

I am having problems with the the function where word auto numbers
each time
I start a new paragraph.

If I add a heading and press ENTER, I then pressing the button to
contuie
numbering but it stays on number 1. Is there a macro or some setting
that I
can change to make it automatically carry on with the previous
number?

Any tips would be really helpful!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
spnz spnz is offline

Hi Beth,

Thanks for your response.

Yes I am using the numbering on the home ribbon.

so it works ok as many times as I press enter. If I add an extra heading
into document (anywhere down the document) I then try pressing the auto
numbering button again and try to get the auto numbering to work but it will
always stay at 1. It won't cont with my previous number

"spnz" wrote in message
Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help.

I am having problems with the the function where word auto numbers
each time
I start a new paragraph.

If I add a heading and press ENTER, I then pressing the button to
contuie
numbering but it stays on number 1. Is there a macro or some setting
that I
can change to make it automatically carry on with the previous
number?

Any tips would be really helpful!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I understand what you are doing now. Thanks for the additional
details - they are always helpful. :-)

If your numbering isn't consecutive and split by other paragraphs then
use the AutoCorrect options button that appears after you click
"Numbering" and select "Continue Numbering".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"spnz" wrote in message
Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help.

I am having problems with the the function where word auto
numbers
each time
I start a new paragraph.

If I add a heading and press ENTER, I then pressing the button to
contuie
numbering but it stays on number 1. Is there a macro or some
setting
that I
can change to make it automatically carry on with the previous
number?

Any tips would be really helpful!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
spnz spnz is offline

Hi again Beth,

Yeah I have tired your suggestion but its not working. I think its because a
macro is used to add the numbering. e.g. I press ALT+N which begins the
numbering. Do you know what I need to do to enable this code so I don't need
to use the AutoCorrect option? and be able to just press the shortcut cut key?

Thanks Shane

"spnz" wrote in message
Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help.

I am having problems with the the function where word auto
numbers
each time
I start a new paragraph.

If I add a heading and press ENTER, I then pressing the button to
contuie
numbering but it stays on number 1. Is there a macro or some
setting
that I
can change to make it automatically carry on with the previous
number?

Any tips would be really helpful!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I'd need to see your macro code.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Beth Melton" wrote:

How are you setting your numbering? Are you using the Numbering
button
on the Home tab?

If so, then are you saying that you after you turn on numbering
for
the paragraph, you press Enter once, and the next line does not
automatically number?

Please post all follow-up questions to the newsgroup. Requests
for

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"spnz" wrote in message
Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help.

I am having problems with the the function where word auto
numbers
each time
I start a new paragraph.

If I add a heading and press ENTER, I then pressing the button
contuie
numbering but it stays on number 1. Is there a macro or some
setting
that I
can change to make it automatically carry on with the previous
number?

Any tips would be really helpful!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
spnz spnz is offline

Hi Beth,

This is the current code that works great in 2k but doesn't in 2007.

This is the code

Code:
'----------------------------
'ContinueDefParagraphNumbering()
' (Default Paragraph Numbering)
' Starts a number paragraph number following from the last numbered paragraph
' Applies Outline Numbered List from ListTemplate(1)
Private Sub ContinueDefParagraphNumbering()
    'Apply the adjusted outline numbering

    Selection.Range.ListFormat.ApplyListTemplate _

ListTemplate:=ListGalleries(wdOutlineNumberGallery).ListTemplates(1), _
        ContinuePreviousList:=True, _
        ApplyTo:=wdListApplyToWholeList, _
        DefaultListBehavior:=wdWord10ListBehavior

End Sub

Thanks for your help

"spnz" wrote in message
Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help.

I am having problems with the the function where word auto
numbers
each time
I start a new paragraph.

If I add a heading and press ENTER, I then pressing the button
contuie
numbering but it stays on number 1. Is there a macro or some
setting
that I
can change to make it automatically carry on with the previous
number?

Any tips would be really helpful!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Your code works "as advertised" in Word 2007 for me. Did you make any
changes to the code after you copy/pasted it? I did see there was an
extra line. But then it would error if that were the case. Here's a
cleanup version:

Selection.Range.ListFormat.ApplyListTemplate _
ListTemplate:=ListGalleries(wdOutlineNumberGallery ) _
.ListTemplates(1), ContinuePreviousList:=True, _
ApplyTo:=wdListApplyToWholeList, _
DefaultListBehavior:=wdWord10ListBehavior

FWIW, personally, I would use styles for numbering.

 _