jerry h

Default Hidden Text

Using Word 2003. I have a table consisting of two rows and two columns
followed by normal text. The table is formatted with no borders. The second
row contains hidden text in both columns. I want the second row to be hidden
and the normal text below the second row to start below the first row. By
highlighting the second row, last column including the table paragraph marker
and formatting the highlight with my hidden text style all works well.
However, after saving and closing the document then reopening the second row
reappears below the first row. The text is still hidden but the blank cells
are there and the normal text below the table is pushed down one line. Has
anyone else encountered this problem? Is there a better solution for what I
am trying to accomplish?
Jay Freedman

jerry h wrote:
Using Word 2003. I have a table consisting of two rows and two columns
followed by normal text. The table is formatted with no borders. The
second row contains hidden text in both columns. I want the second
row to be hidden and the normal text below the second row to start
below the first row. By highlighting the second row, last column
including the table paragraph marker and formatting the highlight
with my hidden text style all works well. However, after saving and
closing the document then reopening the second row reappears below
the first row. The text is still hidden but the blank cells are there
and the normal text below the table is pushed down one line. Has
anyone else encountered this problem? Is there a better solution for
what I am trying to accomplish?

I suspect that in Tools Options Security, you may have a checkmark on
"Make hidden markup visible when opening or saving". This is intended to
keep you from sending out a document that contains personal info without
realizing that it's there.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Freedman

Hi Jerry,

I apologize for giving you some bad advice. In fact, the Help topic
for the options dialog specifically says that option doesn't affect
text formatted as hidden, only Track Changes markup.

When I try the procedure you described, the table row stays hidden no
matter how many times I open and close the document and/or Word.

Try this, though: click the ¶ button so you can see the nonprinting
characters. Select just the end-of-row marker (the ¤ symbol) outside
the right end of the hidden row, and go to Format Font. Is there a
check mark on the Hidden option there? If not, check it and try
saving, closing, reopening.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

jerry h wrote:
[...]

jerry h

Jay,
Thanks, that did it. When I was originally marking the hidden text I was
grabbing the end of row marker and applying the hidden text style - but that
obviously wasn't working. Your solution, though slightly time consuming,
works great.
Thanks again.
jerry h

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

jerry h wrote:
[...]

copied text inserts as hidden in Word (any version) Martin Microsoft Word Help 4 April 21st 05 04:57 AM
Hidden Text - Proper Solution, or Not? Mike@ACM Page Layout 1 March 31st 05 11:05 PM
Hidden Text causes extra white space & extra pages Lyndon S. Microsoft Word Help 1 January 19th 05 05:49 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
Word opens with hidden text visible Alan4297 Microsoft Word Help 3 December 23rd 04 04:09 PM