SCANNING THEN TYPING ON DOCUMENT IN WORD

Default HOW DO I ENTER TEXT ON DOCUMENTS SCANNED INTO WORD?

I AM TRYING TO SCAN DOCUMENTS INTO WORD SO I CAN FILL THEM OUT & PRINT
(I.E.-CREDIT APPLICATIONS, SCHOOL FORMS ETC.) ONCE I SCAN THEM I CAN'T TYPE
THE REQUIRED INFO INTO THEM. I HAVE LOOKED ON THE HELP MENU, ON LINE, ASKED
PEOPLE ETC & I CAN'T GET AN ANSWER. PLEASE HELP. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO
PURCHASE A SEPARATE PROGRAM TO ACCOMPLISH THIS. I WOULD RATHER USE MICROSOFT.
THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?U0NBTk5JTkcgVEhFTiBUWVBJTkcgT04gRE9DVU1FTlQgSU 4gV09SRA==?=,

I AM TRYING TO SCAN DOCUMENTS INTO WORD SO I CAN FILL THEM OUT & PRINT
(I.E.-CREDIT APPLICATIONS, SCHOOL FORMS ETC.) ONCE I SCAN THEM I CAN'T TYPE
THE REQUIRED INFO INTO THEM. I HAVE LOOKED ON THE HELP MENU, ON LINE, ASKED
PEOPLE ETC & I CAN'T GET AN ANSWER. PLEASE HELP. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO
PURCHASE A SEPARATE PROGRAM TO ACCOMPLISH THIS. I WOULD RATHER USE MICROSOFT.

Impossible to say for sure. Especially since you don't mention the version of
Word, or the scanner and software you're using.

Probably, though, the scanner is scanning the text as a graphic. You can do
this, but it means you'd need to create form field OVER the graphic. Best place
to start learning about creating and using forms is mousetrax.com, then the
word.mvps.org website.

Note: Writing in ALL CAPS is considered the equivalent of screaming in people's
faces. Sort of turns them off, so they may ignore such a message. Personally, I
find them very difficult to read. I realize that you may be using special
software, and may not have much choice how the text appears. But if you are
typing manually, please make a small effort and don't use ALL CAPS :-)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Annette G

Sorry about the CAPS. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I am frustrated w/Word
2000, trying to scan from my HP printer, scanner, copier, fax machine then
type info onto the scanned doc. It will not let me. Any help would be
appreciated. Thank you.
Annette G

"SCANNING THEN TYPING ON DOCUMENT IN WORD" wrote:

I AM TRYING TO SCAN DOCUMENTS INTO WORD SO I CAN FILL THEM OUT & PRINT
(I.E.-CREDIT APPLICATIONS, SCHOOL FORMS ETC.) ONCE I SCAN THEM I CAN'T TYPE
THE REQUIRED INFO INTO THEM. I HAVE LOOKED ON THE HELP MENU, ON LINE, ASKED
PEOPLE ETC & I CAN'T GET AN ANSWER. PLEASE HELP. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO
PURCHASE A SEPARATE PROGRAM TO ACCOMPLISH THIS. I WOULD RATHER USE MICROSOFT.
THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE.

Jay Freedman

Hi Annette,

As Cindy said, the scanner produces a graphic, a picture of the whole page
of the original form. Once you have that picture, there are two things you
can do with it to add information in Word:

- The HP probably came with a disk of software, which should include an
Optical Character Recognition (OCR) program. This program analyzes the
picture and produces a text document that you can open in Word and edit
normally. Unfortunately, OCR programs usually don't do very well with forms,
and you often have to do a lot of cleanup work before you can even start
entering your own information.

- You can open a new blank Word document and use Insert Picture From
File to bring in the graphic saved by the scanner. While the graphic is
selected, click the Text Wrapping button on the Picture toolbar and select
"Behind Text". Then you can use Insert Text Box and draw a box for your
information in the proper location on top of the scanned form; or use the
Table tools to create a table that matches the layout of the scanned form,
and insert Word's text form fields (from the Forms toolbar) in the cells of
the table.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Annette G wrote:
Sorry about the CAPS. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I am frustrated
w/Word 2000, trying to scan from my HP printer, scanner, copier, fax
machine then type info onto the scanned doc. It will not let me. Any
help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Annette G

"SCANNING THEN TYPING ON DOCUMENT IN WORD" wrote:

I AM TRYING TO SCAN DOCUMENTS INTO WORD SO I CAN FILL THEM OUT &
PRINT (I.E.-CREDIT APPLICATIONS, SCHOOL FORMS ETC.) ONCE I SCAN THEM
I CAN'T TYPE THE REQUIRED INFO INTO THEM. I HAVE LOOKED ON THE HELP
MENU, ON LINE, ASKED PEOPLE ETC & I CAN'T GET AN ANSWER. PLEASE
HELP. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO PURCHASE A SEPARATE PROGRAM TO
ACCOMPLISH THIS. I WOULD RATHER USE MICROSOFT. THANKING YOU IN
ADVANCE.

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Roz -

Are you also Annette and you're trying to ask the question or are you trying
to answer Annette's question but you're drawing a blank?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"roz" wrote in message

"Annette G" wrote:

[...]

roz

Thanks JoAnn for asking, I was having the same problem as Annette,and I also
wanted to know, if you scan a document can you delete info and add other
information? Once again thanks for your support
Roz

"roz" wrote in message

"Annette G" wrote:

[...]

Herb Tyson [MVP]

When you scan a document, what you have is a picture of that document,
rather than text. You can [sometimes] use OCR (optical character
recognition) to convert a picture of text into actual text. Depending on the
OCR software and the quality of the picture, the conversion can be useful.
I've seldom seen it be perfect. And, I've never seen it have the identical
formatting as the original document. Not saying it's impossible, just that
I've never seen it done. Office 2003 has some limited OCR built into it --
choose Document Imaging from the MS Office Tools folder).

If you scan a document and insert the picture into Word, you won't be able
to manipulate the text as text. If you're careful, you can perhaps use
borderless text boxes or other graphical objects to place new text over the
old to get the effect that you're inserting new information. But, the old
information is still in place as part of the picture.

I hope this helps some...

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"roz" wrote in message

"Annette G" wrote:

[...]

Annette G

Cindy,
I am sorry to have offended you or anyone else in the group. I have never
done this before, so I am very, very sorry to have this happen and maybe
someone not answer my question. Thank you for the tip.
--
Annette G

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chuck Davis

"Mustang" wrote in message

"SCANNING THEN TYPING ON DOCUMENT IN WORD" wrote:

I AM TRYING TO SCAN DOCUMENTS INTO WORD SO I CAN FILL THEM OUT & PRINT
(I.E.-CREDIT APPLICATIONS, SCHOOL FORMS ETC.) ONCE I SCAN THEM I CAN'T
TYPE
THE REQUIRED INFO INTO THEM. I HAVE LOOKED ON THE HELP MENU, ON LINE,
ASKED
PEOPLE ETC & I CAN'T GET AN ANSWER. PLEASE HELP. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO
PURCHASE A SEPARATE PROGRAM TO ACCOMPLISH THIS. I WOULD RATHER USE
MICROSOFT.
THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE.

You are probably scanning the page as an image. A scanner is required that
uses optical character reading (OCR) software. Note that this software is
usually separate from image scanning software. Most new model scanners come
with both graphic and OCR scanning software. (BTW don't use all caps)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Annette G

Mustang,
Thank you for the information. I really appreciate your time.
I apologized back in Aug for using all caps. I had no intention of rocking
anybody's boat. It sure is easier to find my question in all the postings.
though, hence easier to find the answers. Again, I have corrected the error &
believe me I will never do THAT again
--
Annette G

"Chuck Davis" wrote:

"Mustang" wrote in message

"SCANNING THEN TYPING ON DOCUMENT IN WORD" wrote:

I AM TRYING TO SCAN DOCUMENTS INTO WORD SO I CAN FILL THEM OUT & PRINT
(I.E.-CREDIT APPLICATIONS, SCHOOL FORMS ETC.) ONCE I SCAN THEM I CAN'T
TYPE
THE REQUIRED INFO INTO THEM. I HAVE LOOKED ON THE HELP MENU, ON LINE,
ASKED
PEOPLE ETC & I CAN'T GET AN ANSWER. PLEASE HELP. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO
PURCHASE A SEPARATE PROGRAM TO ACCOMPLISH THIS. I WOULD RATHER USE
MICROSOFT.
THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE.

You are probably scanning the page as an image. A scanner is required that
uses optical character reading (OCR) software. Note that this software is
usually separate from image scanning software. Most new model scanners come
with both graphic and OCR scanning software. (BTW don't use all caps)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nichols, Graeme & Dianne Nichols, Graeme & Dianne is offline

I have scanned a document and want to change some of the text - how do I
do it?

--
Nichols, Graeme & Dianne
Nichols, Graeme & Dianne's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=6237

Posted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

G'Day Nichols,

When you scan a document, a 'picture' (i.e. an image) of the document is
created - the type of image (jpg, gif, tif, bmp ... etc) depends on the
software used with/by the scanner.

That image may be manipulated only by graphics (i.e. drawing) software.

To obtain an editable document you need to use Optical Character
Recognition (OCR) software. This 'reads' and 'recognises' parts of
the image as 'writing' and the result can be sent to (say) Word.

Please research:
a. The software that came with your scanner - is it OCR? OCR
software may be purchased separately (from your scanner).
b. Microsoft Office Document Scanning (with recent versions of Office)
c. Microsoft Office Document Imaging (with recent versions of Office)

If b/c are installed they can be found in
StartAll ProgramsMicrosoft OfficeMicrosoft Office Tools
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

Nichols; Graeme & "Dianne"