Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
chiquitaandsugar chiquitaandsugar is offline

Default 'invite' you or 'invites' you?

Which is correct for an invitational flyer to employees:

The City Council invite you to the 2006 Annual.........
or
The City Council invites you to the 2006 Annual........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

1. Wrong newsgroup.

2. invites

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"chiquitaandsugar" wrote in
message ...
Which is correct for an invitational flyer to employees:

The City Council invite you to the 2006 Annual.........
or
The City Council invites you to the 2006 Annual........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unless you're in the UK, in which case it would be "invite." I might incline
to "invite," anyway.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
1. Wrong newsgroup.

2. invites

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"chiquitaandsugar" wrote in
message ...
Which is correct for an invitational flyer to employees:

The City Council invite you to the 2006 Annual.........
or
The City Council invites you to the 2006 Annual........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would consider the "City Council" a collective noun, like the word "team".
The council "invites"; however the members "invite"...

(Believe me - getting into this discussion with *you* scares the bejeebers
out of me. All I ask is that when you lay into me, you make it a clean,
quick, fatal blow.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Unless you're in the UK, in which case it would be "invite." I might
incline
to "invite," anyway.

so
all may benefit.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
1. Wrong newsgroup.

2. invites

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"chiquitaandsugar" wrote in
message ...
Which is correct for an invitational flyer to employees:

The City Council invite you to the 2006 Annual.........
or
The City Council invites you to the 2006 Annual........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi JoAnn

I'm not in the UK or the US, but I would agree with you: it's a collective
noun. The Council invites, the Councillors invite, the members of the
Council invite.

Shauna

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, at least when Suzanne responds, I won't be alone.

Funny thing is that I also use the British style of punctuation with
quotation marks. It must have been what I was taught in elementary school
but it raises comments now.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"Shauna Kelly" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
1. Wrong newsgroup.

2. invites

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"chiquitaandsugar" wrote
in
message ...
Which is correct for an invitational flyer to employees:

The City Council invite you to the 2006 Annual.........
or
The City Council invites you to the 2006 Annual........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Just cast your post either a) in Latin, or b) in iambic pentameter, and
Suzanne curls up and purrs.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The only Latin I can think of is Ricky Ricardo.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The thing about collective nouns (team, family, couple, etc.) is that they
can be either singular or plural depending on whether the group is viewed
acting together or separately,* and in this case I suppose they are acting
together, so "invites" would be correct. I guess I was just feeling that
thinking of them as individual council members issuing the invitation was
somehow friendlier.

*The team travels on a team bus. The team all arrive at the stadium in their
separate cars.
The family is a long-established one. The family is known for its
hospitality. The family welcome you warmly.
The couple are always fighting. The couple is spending a few days at Disney
World.
The council are in disagreement over this issue.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

No it wouldn't! - Though common usage makes for sloppy grammar. My
particular pet hate is the use of 'less' when 'fewer' would have been
correct. The standard of English has deteriorated in the UK. No-one seems to
care any more

wrote in message
Which is correct for an invitational flyer to employees:

The City Council invite you to the 2006 Annual.........
or
The City Council invites you to the 2006 Annual........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

I would agree that, in the UK, it should be invites. Invite may well be
used but that doesn't make it correct. A council is an entity, and singular.
Technically a council could exist, albeit inertly, without members.

The standard of English has deteriorated in the UK. No-one seems to
care any more

I care, but what annoys me more is pedantry which leads to 'corrections'
which are no better than the original.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

wrote in message
Which is correct for an invitational flyer to employees:

The City Council invite you to the 2006 Annual.........
or
The City Council invites you to the 2006 Annual........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

The act of incorporation is one of uniting, or making one, isn't it?

I would, of course,bow to your greater knowledge but the fact that there is
disagreement here, amongst educated people, certainly shows that it is not
clear cut, as is perhaps inevitable in a living language.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

wrote in message
Which is correct for an invitational flyer to employees:

The City Council invite you to the 2006 Annual.........
or
The City Council invites you to the 2006 Annual........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My understanding is that UK English uses a plural verb with, say, "Microsoft
Corporation," e.g., "Microsoft Corporation have announced that..." Perhaps
I'm misinformed. US English uses a singular verb for singular nouns of this
type, but there are times when the plural would certainly be useful, since
there are clearly people involved, and the pronoun used to follow up is
almost invariably "they" since "it" just seems too weird. I really don't
like to see sentences such as "Microsoft Corporation has announced that they
will extend support for Windows 98..." (in this context, I think "it" would
pass, but often it doesn't work).

On a related note, I once called the announcer at our local
listener-supported (and at that time primarily classical) radio station to
challenge his use of a singular verb in reference to I Solisti di Zagreb,
which I maintained should be plural. He thought I was "getting into that
whole British plural thing," but I pointed out that "I Solisti" means "the
soloists," which surely should be treated as plural in the same way that you
would use a plural verb for, say, the Atlanta Braves. He was regarding it as
an ensemble, I as the individual players, as the name implies, but again I
can see that there is room for interpretation there.

wrote in message
Which is correct for an invitational flyer to employees:

The City Council invite you to the 2006 Annual.........
or
The City Council invites you to the 2006 Annual........

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

I suspect that both singular and plural forms are used, perhaps depending on
particular noun, particular verb or context - I'll have to start taking more
notice. One thing we can agree on - which isn't necessarily common usage -
is that verb and pronoun should agree. I wonder whether an article, if used,
makes a difference - a government rules over its people but the government
rule over their people?

--
Enjoy,
Tony