Dale

Default Cookies?

Could some explain in simple terms what "cookies" are and can I delete those
files?
Anne Troy

Cookies are tiny little files that websites put on your machine so they know
it's you when you come back to the website. Ever see "Welcome back, Dale!"?
That's 'cause they put a cookie on your machine. To delete them, open
Internet Explorer and hit Tools--Internet options...
This is the Microsoft Word newsgroup. Please check the group in which you're
posting first.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Dale" wrote in message
Could some explain in simple terms what "cookies" are and can I delete

those
files?

lostinspace

"Dale" wrote in message
Could some explain in simple terms what "cookies" are and can I delete

those
files?

Actually Anne!
Isn't that extending the falsehood that cookies are bad a bit too far?

Cookies don't identify you per Anne TroY or Dale Somebody or John Smith.
There merely provide a referecne from a particlar machine, using a
particular browser from a particular IP range.

There's an ongoing industry effort to enforce confidence in the use of
cookies in an attempt to assure paid advertisers of worthiness of their
marketing dollars spent that are based on cookies. Unless your on the moon,
much of the internet is provided through the benefit of advertisers.
In addition, SEO's are fearful of what encompassing new tool might be
necessary to replace cookies and provide more accurate inforamtion to
advertisers.
Currently, we as users are able to delete our cookies at will. As many
times per day as we may desire. With a new tool, that may not be possible.

The Pros
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cookies.mspx
http://wp.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html
http://wp.netscape.com/legal_notices/cookies.html
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/c/cookie.html
http://www.howstuffworks.com/cookie.htm (multiple pages)
http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletins/i-034.shtml
http://www.netlingo.com/right.cfm?term=cookies

The Cons
http://www.junkbusters.com/cookies.html

The Options
http://scholar.google.com/cookies.html

Anne Troy

Sorry, lostinspace. I didn't know that I inferred that they were bad.
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

. ..