Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wanna Know Wanna Know is offline

Default Research Pane opens Alt+Lclick shortcut key. How to remove?

Word 2003: I don't want the Research Pane to open when I use Alt+Left click.
How do I remove this shortcut key for the Research Pane? I only want to see
the Research Pane when I purposely click on Tools, Research.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Wanna Know wrote:
Word 2003: I don't want the Research Pane to open when I use
Alt+Left click. How do I remove this shortcut key for the Research
Pane? I only want to see the Research Pane when I purposely click on
Tools, Research.

Sorry, Microsoft forgot to give us that control. Same in Word 2007. :-(

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Jay: Is it a trappable command? -- Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 9 May 2007 14:16:01 -0700, Bear (nospam)
wrote:

Jay: Is it a trappable command? -- Bear

Not as far as I can see.

The standard way of finding the name of the macro that should
intercept a command is described in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...tSavePrint.htm. In
Word 2003 that search yields two commands, Research and
ResearchLookup. The command descriptions are, respectively, "Initiates
the Research pane" and "Looks up the word in the research tool".

Unfortunately, creating macros with those names and overriding the
action with a MsgBox doesn't succeed in intercepting the Alt+Click
action.

If anyone knows the magic word and is willing to share it, I'd be
delighted -- this usurpation makes Alt+Drag "column selection" nearly
impossible. In fact, if the column you want to select is only one
character wide, it is impossible.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline
Junior Member

Location: Massachusetts

After fighting with this myself for years, I found out the answer.

From Word, press Alt-F11 to open the VB Editor.

Press Ctrl-G to open the Immediate Window.

Type this line and press Enter:

Application.CommandBars("Research").Enabled = False