Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zapspan zapspan is offline

Default replace variables (auto-numbered paragraph numbers) with constants

I often write a particular type of technical document in which each paragraph
is numbered (using auto-numbering, so that I can insert new paragraphs and
not have to re-number the whole document). Is there a way, when I'm sure
that I won't need to make any changes, that I can have the variable paragraph
numbers repalced with their current value? I am asking because someone else
wants to be able to copy some of my paragraphs into a new Word document
without losing the paragraph number.

Thanks,
Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The following macro should do the trick

Sub NumbersAutoToText()
ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText
End Sub

Test it on a *copy* of the document.

zapspan wrote:
I often write a particular type of technical document in which each
paragraph is numbered (using auto-numbering, so that I can insert new
paragraphs and not have to re-number the whole document). Is there a
way, when I'm sure that I won't need to make any changes, that I can
have the variable paragraph numbers repalced with their current
value? I am asking because someone else wants to be able to copy
some of my paragraphs into a new Word document without losing the
paragraph number.

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
zapspan zapspan is offline

Default replace variables (auto-numbered paragraph numbers) with const

Thank you very much, Graham.

This Macro did the trick.

Mike

zapspan wrote:
I often write a particular type of technical document in which each
paragraph is numbered (using auto-numbering, so that I can insert new
paragraphs and not have to re-number the whole document). Is there a
way, when I'm sure that I won't need to make any changes, that I can
have the variable paragraph numbers repalced with their current
value? I am asking because someone else wants to be able to copy
some of my paragraphs into a new Word document without losing the
paragraph number.

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You are welcome

zapspan wrote:
Thank you very much, Graham.

This Macro did the trick.

Mike

zapspan wrote:
I often write a particular type of technical document in which each
paragraph is numbered (using auto-numbering, so that I can insert
new paragraphs and not have to re-number the whole document). Is
there a way, when I'm sure that I won't need to make any changes,
that I can have the variable paragraph numbers repalced with their
current value? I am asking because someone else wants to be able
to copy some of my paragraphs into a new Word document without
losing the paragraph number.

Thanks,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Be aware, however, that if the numbering is defined as part of the style, it
will reappear if the paragraph style is reset.

"zapspan" wrote in message
Thank you very much, Graham.

This Macro did the trick.

Mike