Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hans hans is offline

Default Refs & Xrefs with Hidden Text?

Background:
In a 200+ page doc, I am trying to insert captions (figures) and cite them
with cross-references. The doc will be printed double-sided and these
captions are for pages that are not native to the doc (they are AutoCAD
plots, to be added upon assembly of the doc). Each AutoCAD plot will fall
between pages in the Word doc; they are NOT numbered.

In the List of Figures, each figure's position will be identified as
"follows Page X-X," where X-X is the page in Word preceding the figure.
Therefore, each Caption needs to be inserted on page X-X in Word.

I am unable to figure out a way to create the captions, cite them with xrefs
in the text, and create a List of Figures in such a way that all numbering
remains automatic. I tried inserting them on page X-X, then making the text
Hidden, but they then do not appear in the List of Figures (nor can they be
xref'd). I cannot simply turn the text "invisible" (white) because it makes
the paragraph spacing look odd.

I also tried creating "place holder" pages, to be swapped with the figure
upon printing, but this can only be achieved by manually "forcing" the page
number on the place holder page to be the same as the prior page, and makes
the whole process nearly completely manual.

Any ideas?

Thanks...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Perhaps you should try using TC fields instead. They're hidden by default
and *will* be picked up by a TOC (which is all a List of Figures is).

For examples of another use of TC fields, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm#TCFields

"Hans" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hans hans is offline

Thank you for the link, Suzanne -- I will read up and see if I can't make TC
fields work for me.

Happy New Year!

-Hans

"Hans" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
hans hans is offline

Suzanne,

I was able to use TC Fields to generate a List of Figures. Thank you again
for the link.

-Hans

"Hans" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm glad you got that to work for you. Although it's much easier to create a
TOC or TOF given the built-in tools Microsoft provides, whenever you need to
do something not provided for, it's nice to be able to fall back on the
"old-fashioned" way of doing things!

endnote refs Devid Microsoft Word Help 4 January 8th 07 10:46 AM
Bookmarks, x-refs etc MarkN Microsoft Word Help 1 October 26th 06 10:12 AM
index ALL cross refs Catamaran Microsoft Word Help 0 April 26th 06 07:50 PM
Document refs Warrick FitzGerald Microsoft Word Help 2 October 28th 05 06:54 PM
tc field codes, hidden text, takes up space even when hidden DJEB Microsoft Word Help 3 July 14th 05 12:39 PM