Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roderick Roderick is offline

Default Captions in Word 2007.

Using Word 2007 in Vista Business.

I've added a table into a document and added a caption through the
References tab, Captions group. This gives me the caption of Figure 1 and
puts it below the table.

I want to change the caption to Table and put it above it.

In Word 2003 I could do this through the setting under
InsertReferenceCaption. Looking at Word 2007 Help to do the same tells me
I have to select the number on the caption, then click on Insert Caption in
the Captions group of the Reference Tab.

The described solution in Help does nothing whereas it says I should be able
to change the caption.

Can anyone tell me, please, where I'm going wrong?

Roderick O'Regan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Roderick,

In Word 2003
Insert=Reference=Caption
and in Word 2007
References=Insert Caption
are basically the same dialog.

In either one, if you had already inserted a caption, placed the cursor in that caption and returned to the dialog mentioned above
the choice to move the location to above rather than below the item would be greyed out.

If you instead of putting the cursor on the caption and then using right click, place the cursor on the captioned item (in the case
of a table right click on the positioning handle at the top left of the table, or select the table), then either right click and
choose 'Caption' (Word 2003) or 'Insert Caption' (Word 2007) or return to the menu/ribbon choice mentioned above and you should be
able to change the label and location.

================

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roderick Roderick is offline

Thanks Bob for the advice.

Regrettably, still nothing happens even following your advice to the letter.

It seems as if the Insert Caption button might be working under some
settings that I don't know of. Clicking on it after doing what you suggest
or even what Word 2007 suggests just puts in a Figure caption without any
choice or opportunity to change its label or position relative to the
object.

Still at a loss, I'm afraid, on why it is behaving that way.

Roderick

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...

"Roderick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you instead of putting the cursor on the caption and then using right
click, place the cursor on the captioned item (in the case
of a table right click on the positioning handle at the top left of the
table, or select the table), then either right click and
choose 'Caption' (Word 2003) or 'Insert Caption' (Word 2007) or return to
the menu/ribbon choice mentioned above and you should be
able to change the label and location.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but when I do this (Word 2007 SP1) Word
inserts an *additional* caption, at the chosen location; it doesn't actually
move the existing one.

~~
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Roderick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roderick Roderick is offline

Mine works exactly the same as yours Stefan. Each time one clicks on the
Insert Caption button expecting the Caption dialog box to open, it instead
writes a Figure 1, Figure 2, etc caption alongside one another.

I haven't been able to fathom out why this is happening so I have passed the
fault to Microsoft Support to see if they can come up with a solution
(luckily, I'm within my free support period!).

A support assistant has already contacted me to confirm the problem. I know
hers is working because she emailed me the sequence of operations and screen
grabs of dialog boxes appearing as buttons are selected.

I can only wait with bated breath for the solution.

Roderick

"Roderick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If those other attempts are unsuccessful, you could always delete the
existing caption and then insert a new one to replace it, I guess.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Roderick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roderick O'Regan Roderick O'Regan is offline

The problem is, Stefan, even if I put a table in the document and want
to add a caption, it still calls it "Figure1" or ...2, ...3, etc.

There is no way of changing the caption to "Table 1" etc. The Insert
Caption button steadfastly refuses to display the Caption dialog box
when I select the table.

Roderick

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 11:14:43 +0200, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

If those other attempts are unsuccessful, you could always delete the
existing caption and then insert a new one to replace it, I guess.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Oh, I didn't realize you were having the problem with new captions as well.
Does it happen in a particular document only?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:

If those other attempts are unsuccessful, you could always delete the
existing caption and then insert a new one to replace it, I guess.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roderick O'Regan Roderick O'Regan is offline

Yes. It was very annoying. Couldn't do anything with captions.
Everything else was working OK on the Reference tab.

As I had said in a previous message in the thread, I was waiting for
Microsoft Support to contact me. They did and using their EasyAssist
desktop management program they found that my Normal.dotx was the
culprit.

They removed it and then opened Word again to regenerate a new Normal.
Tried the Insert Caption button and...problem solved! It now works OK.

As I don't keep anything in Normal it was no bother to have a new one.