monsieurms

Default How do I change paper tray options on the fly--without making it .

Hi. I frequently switch paper modes rather than have trays stacked with paper
in a variety of bins. So for instance I'll print/change to upper tray, and
use letterhead. The rest of the time I want to print from the built-in auto
tray---plain copy paper. But I always forget to switch back.

Is there some way to make a particular tray the DEFAULT so that a change
made in a particular document is either only for that document or only for
that session? So that next time it defaults back to my auto tray?

My printer and documents behave this way by default, but whether you can
replicate the situation depends on the type of printer you have and what
settings it offers (and whether this is a personal or network printer). I
have an HP LaserJet with the MP tray (Tray 1, the one that pulls out of the
front for manual feet and odd sizes) set to First, which means that the
printer looks there first for paper. If there is nothing in the tray, it
then prints from the bottom tray (Tray 2, the 500-sheet paper drawer). In
Word, almost all my documents have the paper tray for all pages set to
"Default tray (Auto Select).

"monsieurms" wrote in message
Hi. I frequently switch paper modes rather than have trays stacked with

paper
in a variety of bins. So for instance I'll print/change to upper tray, and
use letterhead. The rest of the time I want to print from the built-in

auto
tray---plain copy paper. But I always forget to switch back.

Is there some way to make a particular tray the DEFAULT so that a change
made in a particular document is either only for that document or only for
that session? So that next time it defaults back to my auto tray?

Graham Mayor

A couple of possibilities present themselves.

1. Create duplicate 'printers' in Windows and set them up to address the
different bins, then add a printers toolbar and simply print the document
using the appropriate printer (or change the print options in vba) - see
http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm which describes the macro code to
make it work.

2. If your printer accepts PCL commands, you may be able to use a PRINT
field. A PRINT field is simply a type of field that allows you to send
instructions directly to the printer. Thus you can set up documents to print
from the required bin. You'll need to check the printer manual for the
relevant print commands.

e.g for horizontal duplex you would insert the following field :
{ PRINT 27"&l2S" }

monsieurms wrote:
Hi. I frequently switch paper modes rather than have trays stacked
with paper in a variety of bins. So for instance I'll print/change to
upper tray, and use letterhead. The rest of the time I want to print
from the built-in auto tray---plain copy paper. But I always forget
to switch back.

Is there some way to make a particular tray the DEFAULT so that a
change made in a particular document is either only for that document
or only for that session? So that next time it defaults back to my
auto tray?

monsieurms

I appreciate all the responses. I would prefer a WORD software solution to
re-setting the printer itself.

But from reading the responses, I'm gathering that what I thought was a
simple matter is not at all simple, that WORD simply has no way to change "on
the fly" without resetting the default.....