Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Scott

Default Header with picture or text box

I'm working on a header, and have inserted a text box and pixture (even tried
it with just a picture) on the right hand side of the header. I have
formatted it so that text is wrapped around it, but when I type in the header
the text runs beneath the picture and doesn't wrap. Can you do this in a
header? Any suggestions?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Header with picture or text box

Adding Picture or Text Box to Header in Microsoft Word

Yes, you can definitely add a picture or text box to a header in Microsoft Word. Follow these steps:
  1. Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on the "Header" button in the "Header & Footer" group.
  3. Select the desired header style from the drop-down menu.
  4. Click on the "Insert" tab again and select "Pictures" or "Text Box" from the "Illustrations" group.
  5. Insert the picture or text box and format it to wrap text around it.

Fixing Text Wrapping Issues

If the text is not wrapping properly around the picture or text box, follow these steps:
  1. Click on the picture or text box in the header to select it.
  2. Go to the "Format" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the "Wrap Text" button in the "Arrange" group.
  4. Select "Square" or "Tight" from the drop-down menu.
  5. If the text still isn't wrapping properly, adjust the size or position of the picture or text box by clicking and dragging the edges or using the "Position" options in the "Arrange" group.

If you have any other questions or issues, feel free to ask for help.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Scott

When I try and insert a text box to avoid this picture, I get a large box
with a "create your drawing here"insert. I inserted this picture (absolute)
when outside of the header screen, but the header text still runs under it.

"Scott" wrote:

I'm working on a header, and have inserted a text box and pixture (even tried
it with just a picture) on the right hand side of the header. I have
formatted it so that text is wrapped around it, but when I type in the header
the text runs beneath the picture and doesn't wrap. Can you do this in a
header? Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Right click on the picture and change its format so that the layout allows
text to go on the sides rather than just at the top and bottom.

Likewise with text boxes. You do not want to put your picture in a text box.
I'm not even sure if that is possible. Word treats text boxes as drawing
objects and they have their own layout.

I routinely use both text boxes and graphics in headers and can tell you
that doing so is not a problem in the way you are describing. You might want
to look at the Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial.

Take a look at: How to set up letterhead or some other document where you
want one header on the first page and a different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Scott" wrote:

I'm working on a header, and have inserted a text box and pixture (even
tried
it with just a picture) on the right hand side of the header. I have
formatted it so that text is wrapped around it, but when I type in the
header
the text runs beneath the picture and doesn't wrap. Can you do this in a
header? Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Don't use a text box for your text (or your picture). Insert the text first.
Then insert the picture (which will be anchored to the text paragraph you
just created), and set the wrapping to Square or Tight. Using the Advanced
Layout controls, set the picture position as Right Relative to Margin.

If you just want text on the left and a picture on the right (you're not
actually wrapping the text *around* the picture), you can put them in a
borderless two-cell table, but be aware that there will be an empty text
paragraph below the table. You can format it as 1 point or Hidden, but that
can sometimes cause problems when you go back to edit the header and forget
that the paragraph is there.

"Scott" wrote in message
I'm working on a header, and have inserted a text box and pixture (even

tried
it with just a picture) on the right hand side of the header. I have
formatted it so that text is wrapped around it, but when I type in the

header
the text runs beneath the picture and doesn't wrap. Can you do this in a
header? Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Scott

Thanks for the help. Sorry for posting in two forums initially. I'll try
and summarize what's happening more clearly. Essentially what I have in my
header is text to the left (that i modify in different documents), then a
company logo (fixed towards right), and a text box (extending down the right
side anchored to header) on extreme right. When I type in the header my text
runs beneath these objects. It appears that when I insert a pic or text box,
it gets anchored to the header and shows up on every page. However, when I
type in the header area, the text goes beneath the pics and is not visible
despite setting text wrapping. However, when I delete the text in the
header, the header length decreases but the pics remain the same size
although now half outside the header. When I type in the regular document,
the text wrapping works fine. Is there anyway to lock a pic into the header
with text wrapping, ie so that you couldn't decrease the overall size of the
header without deleting the pic? The only way I can get around this is to
insert the pic and text box, and then type the text needed, and use
"paragraph settings" to reset the margins to exclude the pic and text box
areas. I'm using word 2002 XP - i note that Word 2003 seems to reference a
"custom header" function for this problem, but I don't think I have that.
Thank you.

"Scott" wrote in message
I'm working on a header, and have inserted a text box and pixture (even

tried
it with just a picture) on the right hand side of the header. I have
formatted it so that text is wrapped around it, but when I type in the

header
the text runs beneath the picture and doesn't wrap. Can you do this in a
header? Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

In Word-speak a custom something just means something that you've created
for yourself, not built-in.

First, separate out the elements. Those elements a
header/document body
textbox/picture

Work first with the text box by itself in the the document, not the header.
Then work with the picture, by itself, in the document, not the header. In
each case, what you are wanting is for text to wrap around the element. Once
you can do it with each of these alone in a document body, try doing it with
both together, in the body. Once you can do this, select them together and
paste them into your header.

My current letterhead has one graphic and two text boxes so I know this can
be done. Have you looked at the tutorials yet.
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Don't use a text box for your text (or your picture). Insert the text
first.
Then insert the picture (which will be anchored to the text paragraph you
just created), and set the wrapping to Square or Tight. Using the
Layout controls, set the picture position as Right Relative to Margin.

If you just want text on the left and a picture on the right (you're not
actually wrapping the text *around* the picture), you can put them in a
borderless two-cell table, but be aware that there will be an empty text
paragraph below the table. You can format it as 1 point or Hidden, but
that
can sometimes cause problems when you go back to edit the header and
forget
that the paragraph is there.

so
all may benefit.

"Scott" wrote in message
I'm working on a header, and have inserted a text box and pixture (even

tried
it with just a picture) on the right hand side of the header. I have
formatted it so that text is wrapped around it, but when I type in the

header
the text runs beneath the picture and doesn't wrap. Can you do this in
header? Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If by "beneath the pics" you mean behind them, then make sure you don't have
the wrapping on the graphic and text box set to "In Front of Text." It must
be Square or Tight.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Don't use a text box for your text (or your picture). Insert the text

first.
Then insert the picture (which will be anchored to the text paragraph

you
just created), and set the wrapping to Square or Tight. Using the

Layout controls, set the picture position as Right Relative to Margin.

If you just want text on the left and a picture on the right (you're not
actually wrapping the text *around* the picture), you can put them in a
borderless two-cell table, but be aware that there will be an empty text
paragraph below the table. You can format it as 1 point or Hidden, but

that
can sometimes cause problems when you go back to edit the header and

forget
that the paragraph is there.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Scott" wrote in message
I'm working on a header, and have inserted a text box and pixture

(even
tried
it with just a picture) on the right hand side of the header. I have
formatted it so that text is wrapped around it, but when I type in the

header
the text runs beneath the picture and doesn't wrap. Can you do this

in a
header? Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Scott

Sorry. I'm still having a problem with this after numerous tries. I think
what is happening is that somehow I am anchoring the picture in the header,
but not placing it entirely within the header. I can duplicate the situation
with a simple new word 2002 file using a small jpeg picture. When I enter
"header/footer" and then (from within the header), with cursor at left,
insert the pic... it fills up the header and the cursor moves to the line
below, but still within the header (now large) area. This format remains the
same on subsequent pages. However, when I click on the picture and format it
to a square wrapping style, the text I originally had below the pic is now
moved to the top and appears behind the picture, and the actual header area
is reduced to that required by the text. The pic remains the same size, but
now is anchored and extends into the rest of the document. I would have
expected that the text at the bottom would wrap around the picture (which
only extends a 1/3 of the way across) and the whole pic would have remained
in the header area not simply anchored. ....When I leave the header area,
and type text within the main document, the text wraps appropriately (square
wrapping style) around the pic. Should I reload my word - or am I just
completely doing something wrong??

"Scott" wrote in message
I'm working on a header, and have inserted a text box and pixture

(even
tried
it with just a picture) on the right hand side of the header. I have
formatted it so that text is wrapped around it, but when I type in the
header
the text runs beneath the picture and doesn't wrap. Can you do this

in a
header? Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Scott

Instead of using my pic, I tried this with a generic word clip art (eifle
tower). By simply opening a new document, view, header/footer, and then
inserting the clip art. I then clicked on the clip art pic, and changed
formatting to square wrapping, and the header decreased in width, and any
text typed in was hidden behind the eifle tower pic. I did this to make sure
that my pic wasn't messed up? Does this work and remain within the header
when you do this? If so, I'll be reloading my word tomorrow as it must be
messed up..... Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Reloading Word will probably not help.

I just inserted a clip art picture in the header. I formatted its layout to
square and expanded it so that the bottom of it was in the body of the
document. I then went into the body and text wrapped around the picture. If
I set the layout for the picture to be in front of text, even if in the
header, it will float on top of text in the body (as well as in the header).
I strongly recommend that you keep trying this and not reloading Word.
--

"Scott" wrote in message
Instead of using my pic, I tried this with a generic word clip art (eifle
tower). By simply opening a new document, view, header/footer, and then
inserting the clip art. I then clicked on the clip art pic, and changed
formatting to square wrapping, and the header decreased in width, and any
text typed in was hidden behind the eifle tower pic. I did this to make
sure
that my pic wasn't messed up? Does this work and remain within the header
when you do this? If so, I'll be reloading my word tomorrow as it must be
messed up..... Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

A square-formatted picture in your header is not going to decrease the width
of your header although it will limit where your text can go.
--

"Scott" wrote in message
Instead of using my pic, I tried this with a generic word clip art (eifle
tower). By simply opening a new document, view, header/footer, and then
inserting the clip art. I then clicked on the clip art pic, and changed
formatting to square wrapping, and the header decreased in width, and any
text typed in was hidden behind the eifle tower pic. I did this to make
sure
that my pic wasn't messed up? Does this work and remain within the header
when you do this? If so, I'll be reloading my word tomorrow as it must be
messed up..... Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I can replicate this behavior. I would have to consider it a bug, but I'm
afraid there's really no way around it. You can make your text appear beside
the graphic (or text box) instead of behind it by giving it a right indent.
And you can force the header to extend to the depth of the graphic by adding
Space After as needed (or just let the text in the body of the document wrap
around the graphic). But since the text is not going to wrap below the
graphic (or need to, from your description), you'd probably still be better
off just putting the graphic and the text in a borderless table. You can
still use the text box extending down the side of the page. Anchor that
outside the table, though, so as not to cause pagination problems.

"Scott" wrote in message
I'm working on a header, and have inserted a text box and pixture

(even
tried
it with just a picture) on the right hand side of the header. I

have
formatted it so that text is wrapped around it, but when I type in

the
header
the text runs beneath the picture and doesn't wrap. Can you do

this
in a
header? Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Scott

Thank you. After reading Suzanne's reply it seems she was able to replicate
this behavior, but I'm unsure, after reading your reply whether text wrapped
around the clip art in the header area. Text wraps normally when the pic
extends outside the header, but within the header the text wrapping (ie
square/tight) functions do not work - only "text in front and text behind"
the pic. If it's a "bug", I'll just give up and use a table, or format the
paragraph indent for my text portion to avoid the pic, but if it works for
you, I'll keep working at it. Thanks again for your help.

"Scott" wrote in message
Instead of using my pic, I tried this with a generic word clip art (eifle
tower). By simply opening a new document, view, header/footer, and then
inserting the clip art. I then clicked on the clip art pic, and changed
formatting to square wrapping, and the header decreased in width, and any
text typed in was hidden behind the eifle tower pic. I did this to make
sure
that my pic wasn't messed up? Does this work and remain within the header
when you do this? If so, I'll be reloading my word tomorrow as it must be
messed up..... Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Scott

My last post on this topic. I appreciate your statement below, but can you
confirm that in the below situation (square formatted pic in header, not just
anchored), when you enter text, it wraps around the pic as indicated by
"square fromatting" or is it a bug and the text continues behind the pic as I
have found, and I believe, the other poster confirmed (5 messages up).

"Scott" wrote in message
Instead of using my pic, I tried this with a generic word clip art (eifle
tower). By simply opening a new document, view, header/footer, and then
inserting the clip art. I then clicked on the clip art pic, and changed
formatting to square wrapping, and the header decreased in width, and any
text typed in was hidden behind the eifle tower pic. I did this to make
sure
that my pic wasn't messed up? Does this work and remain within the header
when you do this? If so, I'll be reloading my word tomorrow as it must be
messed up..... Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Sorry for being so obtuse. With a picture inserted in a header formatted as
square or tight wrapping, text in the header flows on top of the picture or
behind it and does not wrap. Text in the body wraps. The same is true of an
inserted text box.

I have combined graphics and text in my headers, it appears, by using text
boxes to hold the text.