Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
edie

Default trouble with mail merge, word was unable to open data source

Mail merge files and the data file I have used for sometime suddenly are not
working. The word file cannot open the data source. It's like something is
lost.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Which version of Word, and what is the data source? If your copy of Windows
is updated automatically via Windows Update/Microsoft update, some recent
updates ahave caused a lot of problems with Word.I quote CIndy Meister:

"There are massive problems with the most recent set of updates. There's a
KB article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165) describing a workaround
for
some of the problems. But other people are finding they need to uninstall
the updates, especially MSO06-015."

Peter Jamieson

"edie" wrote in message
Mail merge files and the data file I have used for sometime suddenly are
not
working. The word file cannot open the data source. It's like something
is
lost.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
david

I've had the same problem and found that my problem is the length of the
fields which are being merged were to long. Since I shortened them
everything works now. I only wish there was something in writing that
explains how long these merge fields can be as well as what naming schemes
NOT to use.

Hope this helps you