HJ

Default Global template: Custom menu is slow?

Hi all,

I am using a global template with a custom menu which is located at the Menu
Bar. The global template directory is set in Tools, Options, File locations,
Startup. In the autoexec code within the global template I set the
visibility of a few menu items, e.g.:

CommandBars("Menu
Bar").Controls("MyNewMenu").Controls("MyNewMenuOpt ion").Visible = (Some
condition that returns true or false)

This works very well with Word 2002 SP3 and Windows 2000 Professional. But
if I use this global template with Word 2002 SP3 on Windows XP Professional
SP2 then the mentioned code returns an error, because the custom menu is not
being loaded fast enough; or at least, it appears to me that the menu is not
showing fast enough.

Also, if I open the global template itself with Windows 2000 the custom menu
shows. But if I do this with Windows XP SP2 the custom menu is not shown.

I have found some references to possible problems with Adobe add-ins. I have
tested this, but excluding and even deinstalling these add-ins did not solve
the issue.

I am quite stumped at why this custom menu (or the global template) behaves
like this. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

HJ

HJ

Thank you for responding. The toolbar Menu Bar is of course being displayed
at startup, but the custom menu (positioned between File and Edit) is being
displayed "late" when using Word with Windows XP. On Windows 2000 this does
not happen; i.e. the custom menu is being displayed immediately.

If there is another way to hide one or two menu items, under certain
conditions, at startup of Word (and on load of the global template), then
I'll be happy to try that.

HJ

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Do you really need this macro? If the toolbar is displayed in the global
template, isn't it automatically added to Word's display when the template
is loaded?

so
all may benefit.

"HJ" wrote in message
[...]

HJ

Thank you for responding. The toolbar Menu Bar is of course being displayed
at startup, but the custom menu (positioned between File and Edit) is being
displayed "late" when using Word with Windows XP. On Windows 2000 this does
not happen; i.e. the custom menu is being displayed immediately.

If there is another way to hide one or two menu items at startup of Word

"HJ" wrote in message
[...]

I find that Word 2003 is rather slow to load (and Word 2002 was as well). I
have several add-ins, and there's an appreciable wait for each one to
position all its bits and bobs. The order in which add-ins load can be
significant, and you can influence this to some extent by naming conventions
(I think maybe it's been established that they load in reverse alphabetical
order, but don't quote me on that).

"HJ" wrote in message
Thank you for responding. The toolbar Menu Bar is of course being

displayed
at startup, but the custom menu (positioned between File and Edit) is

being
displayed "late" when using Word with Windows XP. On Windows 2000 this

does
not happen; i.e. the custom menu is being displayed immediately.

If there is another way to hide one or two menu items at startup of Word
(and on load of the global template), then I'll be happy to try that.

HJ

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Do you really need this macro? If the toolbar is displayed in the global
template, isn't it automatically added to Word's display when the

template
is loaded?

newsgroup
so